Sports & Recreation
Teamwork and leadership aren’t skills you grow just in the classroom or in the research lab. You can learn a lot about motivation and problem solving while you have fun. NC State students take the court, ice, mountainside, field, pool and stream and just about any place in between as participants in the school's strong club sport and intramural recreation programs. Whether your outdoor passion is skiing and snowboarding (yes, it does snow in parts of NC), rodeo or water polo, there’s a thriving club or intramural team for you to join and pursue your physical passion with others.
NC State offers a variety of sports and other recreational programs to keep you in top shape:
- Nearly 50 club sports ranging from aikido, badminton, fencing, roller hockey, cricket, rowing, table tennis, wrestling and more.
- Intramural sports include basketball, bowling, racquetball, softball, badminton and 4-on-4 flag football, with 18 intramural leagues and special events for players of all skill levels.
- Fitness & wellness programs encourage healthier lifestyles through classes and workshops that educate, motivate, and stimulate both brain and brawn.
- Carmichael Gymnasium Complex is the spot for working out with fitness equipment, Olympic-caliber aquatics facilities and classes in fitness, scuba, watercrafts and more. Carmichael is currently undergoing a major renovation to expand and add new facilities.
- Outdoor Adventures sponsors affordable, year-round opportunities for NC State students to get an adrenaline rush backpacking, camping, and rock climbing at recreational areas along the East Coast.
NC State is a haven for sports fans—those who like to participate and those who like to cheer from the sidelines. Known as the Wolfpack, NC State competes in 23 intercollegiate varsity sports, and is a founding member of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Since the first football game in 1892, NC State has competed at the highest level of college athletics, winning two NCAA national championships, two AIAW titles and four other national championships. We’ve also produced Olympic medalists in swimming as well as 26 individual NCAA and AIAW national champions in a variety of sports. Visit our official Wolfpack Athletics site for more on how you can back the Pack.