Facility Policy & Training
Training | Scheduling Policies | Violation Policy
The NMR facility center provides basic NMR training at Dabney hall and Partners III monthly. Advanced NMR training is available upon request.
The Basic NMR training includes two parts: an NMR basic knowledge training (PPT lecture, 1 hour) and an on-instrument demonstration (1 hour).
An open-book exam will be given at the end of the training. Only individuals who pass the test will be given access to the NMR facility.
NMR Facility Scheduling Policies
The following operating policies are used for all spectrometers:
For 300MHz NMRs:
- From 8 AM - 5 PM: A maximum time of 30 minutes per session will be allowed during this time period. Users can have more than one session in a single day if they are not consecutive. Booking can be made 24 hours ahead, but no 2-day advance booking is allowed.
- From 5 PM - 8 PM: Maximum time allowed per session is one hour. Users can have more than one session if they are not consecutive. Booking can be made 24 hours ahead, but no 2-day advance booking is allowed.
- From 8 PM - 8 AM (the next day): This time slot is available for longer experiments such as 1D carbon and 2D experiments. Advance booking is allowed during this time frame.
For 400 MHz NMR and 500MHz NMR:
- From 9AM - 9PM: These time slots are primarily for the collection of carbon spectra with a reasonable concentration during the daytime. This spectrometer is available for a maximum of 2 hours per session for carbon experiments. Users can have more than one session if they are not consecutive. Booking can be made 24 hours ahead, but no 2-day advance booking is allowed.
- If you are booking overnight experiments on NMRs at Dabney, please make sure your experiment(s) ends before 9AM the next day. If you need to run extra long experiments, please consider Saturday and Sunday. Or for special requests, please contact Jennifer Sun.
- Weekdays: You may book overnight experiments from 8:00PM - 9:00AM 24 hours ahead. If there is no reservation for night usage until 4:00PM that day, you may start your overnight experiment at 6:00PM.
- Weekends: You may book long experiments (>2 hours) during the day.
NMR Violation Policy
In the interest of all NMR users and the protection of the NMR instruments, the following actions will be taken when NMR lab policies are violated:
- 1st incident: Written warning with copy to advisor
- 2nd incident: Suspension from all NMR instruments for a time to be determined by the NMR Lab Manager
- 3rd incident: Permanent removal of NMR lab account and privileges