Dr. Banks' research interests include Inverse Problems and Control for PDE, Modeling in Electromagnetics, Structures, Fluids, and Biology.
Dr. Smith received his Ph.D. in Mathematics from Montana State University in 1990. Dr. Smith's research interests include aspects of mathematical modeling, numerical analysis and control theory. He has written numerous papers and a book on smart material systems, and much of his current research focuses on mathematical issues concerning high performance smart material actuators and sensors in structural, structural acoustic, and aeroacoustic systems.
Lesa R. Denning, Administrative Assistant304 Cox Hall
or e-mail: email@example.com
Zackary Kenz, Keri Rehm, and Clay Thompson, IT Program Assistants509 Cox Hall
Contact us directly or through Lesa Denning.
The following is a complete list of CRSC Associated Faculty, Postdocs, and Industrial Scientists along with their respective research interests. If you would like to know more about a particular researcher, please see their individual profile.
- Klaus J. Bachmann: Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Intelligent Production of Compound Semiconductors.
- H.T.Banks: Distinguished University Professor and Drexel Professor of Mathematics; Director of the Center for Research in Scientific Computation and Co-Director of the Center for Quantitative Sciences in Biomedicine at North Carolina State University
Inverse Problems and Control for PDE, Modeling in Structures, Fluids and Biology.
- Jerzy Bernholc: Professor of Physics
Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science.
- Robert Buche: Adjunct Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Stochastic Approximation and Control, especially communications applications, Large Deviations, Operations Research.
- Chris Byrnes: Research Professor of Applied Mathematics
System and Control Theory, Dynamical Systems
- Stephen L. Campbell: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis, Implicit Differential Equations.
- Alina Chertock: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Numerical methods for time-dependent partial differential equations, scientific computing.
- Moody T. Chu: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis, Parallel Algorithms.
- Ariel Cintron-Arias: SAMSI/CRSC Postdoctoral Fellow
Nonlinear Dynamics, Mathematical Modeling and Parameter Estimation, Transmission Dynamics of Infectious Diseases, Complex Networks, and Dynamics of Information Spread.
- Doina Cioranescu: Research Professor of Applied Mathematics
Partial Differential Equations, Homogenization Theory for Composites
- Marie Davidian: William Neal Reynolds Professor of Statistics; Adjunct Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Duke Medical School and Director of the Center for Quantitative Sciences in Biomedicine at North Carolina State University
Mixed Effects Models, Longitudinal Data Analysis, Covariate Measurement Error, Missing Data, and Analysis of Assay Data and Calibration.
- Sava Dediu: Scientist, Campbell & Co., Baltimore, MD
Inverse Problems for Partial Differential Equations, Scattering Theory, Numerical Solutions for Partial Differential Equations, Sensitivity Analysis for Dynamical Systems.
- Pierre Gremaud: Professor of Mathematics
Variational Methods in Continuum Mechanics, Numerical Methods for Conservation Laws.
- Nathan Louis Gibson: Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Oregon State University
Computational electromagnetics, finite element and finite difference methods, inverse problems .
- Mansoor Haider: Associate Professor of Mathematics
PDEs, Integral Equations, Biomechanics, Electromagnetic Scattering.
- Aloysius G. Helminck: Mathematics Department Head, Professor of Mathematics
Symmetric Spaces, Invariant Theory, Representation Theory, Symbolic Computation, Flag Varieties and Graph Theory.
- Hoon Hong: Professor of Mathematics
- Shuhua Hu: Research Assistant Professor
Population and Community Dynamics, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, and Parameter Estimation Methods.
- Ilse Ipsen: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Linear Algebra, Parallel Computing.
- Kazufumi Ito: Professor of Mathematics
Control and Inverse Problems for Partial Differential Equations.
- R. Lawrence Ives: Calabazas Creek Research, Inc.
Software development, microwave tube and component design, and uses of microwave power for environmental and heating applications.
- Marc Jacobs: Research Professor of Applied Mathematics
Dynamic Systems, Control Theory
- Mark R. Jolly: Materials Division, Thomas Lord Research Center, The Lord Corporation
Magnetorheological Fluids, Smart Materials.
- Erich L. Kaltofen: Professor of Mathematics and Associate Member of Computer Science
Computational Algebra and Number Theory, Design and Analysis of Sequential and Parallel Algorithms, Symbolic Computation Systems and Languages, Internet Mathematics Technology.
- C.T.Kelley: Drexel Professor of Mathematics
Nonlinear Equations and Optimization, Integral Equations.
- Franz Kappel: Visiting Professor, Institut fur Mathematik, Universität Graz
Control Theory, Inverse Problems, Cardiovascular Modeling, and Mathematical Biology.
- Grace M. Kepler: Research Associate Professor of Mathematics
Mathematical Modeling, Biomedical Modeling, and Numerical Simulation.
- Karl Kunisch: Visiting Professor, Institut fur Mathematik, Universität Graz
Control Theory, Partial Differential Equations, and Inverse Problems.
- Amy Langville: Assistant Professor, College of Charleston, SC Department of Mathematics
Reduced order models for advanced materials.
- Zhilin Li: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis and Numerical Methods for Differential Equations.
- Alun Lloyd: Associate Professor of Biomathematics and Mathematics and Director of Biomathematics Graduate Program
Modeling Infectious Diseases, Spatial Models, and Biomathematics.
- Sharon R. Lubkin: Professor of Biomathematics and Mathematics
Biomechanics and Models in Developmental Biology and Medicine.
- Negash G. Medhin: Professor of Mathematics
Control Theory, Stochastics and Dynamical Systems.
- Carl D. Meyer, Jr.: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Linear Algebra, Markov Chains.
- John F. Monahan: Professor of Statistics
Random Number Generation, Statistical Computing.
- Andrew Newell: CRSC Research Associate
Micromagnetics, Rock Magnetism and Biomagnetism.
- William Oates: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Florida State University
Multiscale material modeling, active materials, nonlinear control, fracture mechanics.
- Mette S. Olufsen: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Biofluidynamics, Math Biology.
- Tao Pang: Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Stochastic Control and Financial Mathematics.
- Melissa A. Pasquinelli: Assistant Professor in Textiles Engineering, Chemistry, and Science
Computational Chemistry, Multiscale Modeling, Nanomaterials, Toxicology, and Biomedical Engineering.
- Eric S. Rosenberg: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Clinical Trials, and HIV.
- Paul Schlosser: Staff scientist, EPA.
- Jeffrey S. Scroggs: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Domain Decomposition, Partial Differential Equations.
- Stefan Seelecke: Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- James F. Selgrade: Professor of Mathematics
Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations, Biomathematics.
- F.H.H. Semazzi: Professor of Mathematics and Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Climate Modeling, Numerical Simulation.
- Michael Shearer: Professor of Mathematics
PDE's, Hyperbolic Conservation Laws.
- Michael F. Singer: Professor of Mathematics
Computational Algebra and Differential Equations.
- Charles E. Smith: Associate Professor of Statistics and Biomathematics
Numerical Solutions of First Passage Time Problems, Biomathematics.
- Ralph C. Smith:Professor of Mathematics
Mathematical Modeling, Numerical Analysis and Control Theory.
- William J. Stewart: Professor of Computer Science
Numerical Solution of Markov Chains, Numerical Linear Algebra.
- Karyn Sutton: CRSC Postdoctoral Assistant
Mathematical Modeling, Modeling in Biological Sciences, Inverse problems.
- Tomoya Takeuchi: CRSC Postdoctoral Assistant
- Jari Toivanen: CRSC Research Associate Fellow
Fictitious Domain (Domain Imbedding) Methods, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Computational Acoustics and Electromagnetics, Multidisciplinary Shape Optimization.
- Hien T. Tran: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Methods in Control, Spectral Methods.
- Semyon V. Tsynkov: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Methods for PDE's and Computational Mathematics.
- Paul J. Turinsky: Professor of Nuclear Engineering
Computational Engineering, Parallel Algorithms.
- Xiaohong Wang: Arizona State University Post Doctoral Research Associate
Mathematical modelling (both deterministic and stochastic) of the dynamical systems of infectious diseases, social behaviours, and networks.
- Robert E. White: Professor of Mathematics
Parallel Algorithms and Partial Differential Equations.
- Shannon Wynne: CRSC Research Associate Fellow
Computational Methods for PDEs and Biological Modeling.
- Lynn Yanyo: Materials Division, Thomas Lord Research Center, The Lord Corporation
Polymer Science, Viscoelastic Materials.
Associated Graduate Students:
- Mikio Aio: CRSC Research Assistant
- Adam Attarian: CRSC Research Assistant
- Karen Bliss: CRSC Graduate Student
- Alex Capaldi: CQSB Teaching Assistant
- Amanda Criner: CRSC Research Assistant; RTG Fellow
- Xiang Fan: CRSC Research Assistant
- Zifang Guo: CQSB Teaching Assistant; CQSB Fellow
- Kathleen Holm: CQSB Fellow
- Cary Humber: CRSC Research Assistant
- Zack Kenz: GAANN Fellow
- Lindsay (Hilbert) May: CRSC Research Assistant
- Stephen May: CRSC Research Assistant
- Arthur Peterson: CRSC Research Assistant
- Ellen Peterson: Lord/CRSC Graduate Fellow
- Angela Ortiz: Graduate Research Assistant, Arizona State University
- Francesca Reale-Levis: Lord/CRSC Graduate Fellow
- Keri Rehm: Dean's Fellow; CQSB Fellow
- Danielle Robbins: CQSB Teaching Assistant; NIH/IMSD Fellow
- Morgan Root: SAMSI Graduate Fellow; Teaching Assistant
- Justin Shows: SAMSI Graduate Fellow; CRSC Reserach Assistant
- Clay Thompson: CQSB Fellow
- Daniela Valdez-Jasso: CRSC Graduate Student
- Nathan Wanner: CQSB Fellow
- Kate Wendelsdorf
See our list of Recent Graduates to see where our former students are now.
Return to top of page
- Advanced Bionutrition (ABN)
- Calabazas Creek Research, Inc.
- Lord Corporation
Thomas Lord Research Center, Cary, NC