For Supervisors, Advisors &
Role of the Supervisor, Advisor or Mentor
As the supervisor, advisor or mentor of a participant in the Equal Opportunity Institute, you play an important role. Your employee’s or student's experience will be more meaningful and successful to the degree that you support the activities involved with the Institute. Your employee is more likely to develop skills and knowledge that can be applied to personal behaviors and employment responsibilities if you provide the following:
- Attend the Institute Orientation (first hour).
- Support your EOI participant’s desire to expand his or her knowledge base about equal opportunity.
- Understand the requirements and time commitment necessary for completing the Equal Opportunity Institute. Allow participant time to complete EOI requirements.
- Discuss and review your employee’s or student's individual goal for the Institute.
- Review carefully your participant’s Workshop Registration Form.
- Incorporate this professional development activity into your employee’s Work Plan.
- Engage your employee or student in regular review of their Institute activities throughout the year.
- Consider and discuss with your employee or student how new knowledge and skills can be incorporated into the employee’s job responsibilities or student's academic discipline and future career opportunities.
- Attend the Institute Graduation.