National Student Leadership Scholarship
This is one of the USA's most prestigious scholarships for student leaders. It is awarded to an entering freshman, valued at $10,000 per year, renewable upon satisfactory academic progress and leadership involvement. Deadline for high school seniors to submit application and mail to the General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center is no later than 5:00 p.m. November 1 of each year. By midnight on December 18, each year, the Gen. Hugh Shelton Scholarship Selection Committee will notify all applicants of status by email. Semi-finalists will then need to apply to the university admissions office and to complete additional information (Students may wish to apply earlier to N. C. State).
All applicants who advance to the second phase of the process will need to complete and return requested information by January 15 of each year. All applicants will need to have applied and been accepted to N.C. State University; a guidance counselor, scholarship coordinator or registrar will need to send an official, sealed transcript; and complete two additional essay questions that were sent went notified. Please send information to the address below.
The Gen. Hugh Shelton National Student Leadership Scholarship Selection Committee will notify finalists by February 1, to participate in a personal interview in mid-February.
- Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Please save [doc] to your desktop prior to completing the application. Your personal information will not save if you are working from the website document.
- Application for 2011 Student Leader Scholarship is now available on our website by clicking on "Application" in the above heading.
- High school seniors should complete the application and mail-in so it arrives to the General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center no later than 5:00 p.m. November 1 of each year. The General Hugh Shelton National Student Leadership Scholarship Selection Committee will notify finalists February 1 to participate in a personal interview in February regarding the process currently underway.
- Enrichment Experiences
Please send Application and References to:
General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center, 1101 Gorman Street/223 McKimmon Center, NCSU Campus 7401, Raleigh, NC 27695-7401
The General Hugh Shelton Leadership Endowment provides:
- $10,000 annual NC State tuition and fees, housing, etc.
- Annual enrichment funds up to $2,000 for student leadership enrichment experiences.
- Leadership Retreats
- Leadership and Ethics Seminars
- LeaderShape® Conference
- Wilderness Leadership Experience
- Study Abroad
- Community/Global Service - Learning
- Shelton National Leadership Forum
- Leadership Internship with Corporation/Agency
A complete application will include the following materials downloadable from this site, using a font size no smaller than 10 pt. (Limit responses to space indicated)
- The application cover page with signed commitment statement
- List and description of academic, work, community service, and extracurricular activities
- Responses to short answer questions
- A letter of recommendation from a person familiar with your leadership potential. Give the attached form to your recommender. Have that person mail directly to the Program office or return to you in a signed/sealed envelope, a letter of endorsement in time for you to submit to the program office by November 1 of the current academic year.
- Be sure to include your name on all pages.
- Print and keep a copy of your completed application.