Burlington Nuclear Engineering Lab

Burlinton Nuclear Engineering Lab

View from Southeast

Scroll below for building history

Click to view ADA Map
Accessibility Map

Location: North Campus


Current Residents:

Nuclear Engineering
Nuclear Reactor Program
Precision Instrument Machine Shop

Built 1953

Sq. Footage 62,511

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


History

National attention was brought to NC State in 1955 when the first nuclear reactor in the world devoted soley to the peacetime application of nuclear fission in an educational program was installed here. Burlington Nuclear Laboratories was named after Burlington Industries, a textile company that contributed private funding for the reactor building. A 1 million watt Pulstar reactor was later added to the building with a peak power of 2,200 million watts.

The building was enlarged in 1973 with state funding, and the name was changed to Burlington Engineering Laboratories. Nuclear studies include research and training of nuclear reactor operators, methods of power generation using nuclear science, and the medical and industrial uses of radiation.


Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena