View from Northeast
Scroll below for building
Location: North Campus
On June 7, 1927, the first day on which this university conferred degrees on women, Mary E. Yarbrough (1904 - 1984) was awarded the first graduate degree earned by a woman, a master of science degree in chemistry. The daughter of Lewis T. Yarbrough, class of 1893, she became in 1930 the first woman officer of the alumni association. After earning a PH.D. degree at Duke University, she served for many years as head of the chemistry department at Meredith College. Born nearby, she often played in this court as a child. Dedicated April, 1987.
Return to the Building Index or Return
to the Campus Map