Routine Utility Interruption Request
Facilities Operations Policy & Procedures - Policy #806 - Revised Date: 8/20/04
Purpose: To insure that the effect of utility interruptions on campus operations is minimized and that the Campus community is given sufficient notice to avoid the disruption of critical functions.
Warning: Contractors may not interrupt any service without coordinating with Facilities Operations. All cutoffs and restoration of service will be performed by Facilities Operations personnel.
1. When a utility interruption is required, the requestor and appropriate Facilities Operations personnel will determine the type of interruption ( i.e. steam, electrical) that needs to be performed.
2. The requestor, with Facilities Operations assistance, is responsible for determining the area(s) building(s) that will be affected. The requestor shall inform the Customer Service Center of the buildings, areas, and systems that will be affected.
a) The requestor must submit a work request form to the Customer Service Center. (See #5 below) The Customer Service Center will provide the requestor with the utility interruption form and refer them to the appropriate shop/zone and contact person.
b) The requestor must contact the shops/zones personnel to complete the utility interruption form. In the case of fire alarm shutdowns, approval by Fire Protection is also required. The requestor will return the utility interruption form to the Customer Service Center.
c) The Project Manager and the appropriate Facilities Operations Shop/Zone Supervisor will review the scope of the interruption to determine the impact to the building and determine if it is a minor or major interruption.
3. Upon receipt of the completed utility interruption form, the Customer Service Center will schedule the utility interruption by notifying all affected parties. The Customer Service Center will advise the requestor that notifications are complete.
4. After the Customer Service Center has completed processing the request form/utility interruption, it will be the requestor’s responsibility to notify both the Customer Service Center and the shop regarding any modifications to the schedule or extent of the outage. Modifications may require rescheduling of the outage.
5. Major Interruptions:
The following is the minimum amount of notice (working days) that should be allowed for a utility interruption. Longer notification times are recommended
Primary (Total Building) Power – 10 working days Distilled Water Interruption – 3 working days
Secondary Power Feeders – 4 working days Steam Interruption – 5 working days
Cold/Hot Water Interruption – 4 working days Gas Interruption – 5 working days
A/C/Heat Interruption – 4 working days Lab Air Interruption – 4 working days
*Fire Alarm Disconnect/Testing – 3 working days Sanitary/Storm Sewer – 3 working days
6. Minor Interruptions:
The above time frames are focused on major service interruptions. Minor electrical/plumbing/mechanical outages for single branch circuits/supply pipes serving a limited area are not covered by this policy. It is the responsibility of the shop/project manager performing the work, to provide adequate advance notification to building occupants appropriate for the level of outage and to provide alternate sources and services as required.
7. All requests for utility interruptions should be submitted to the Customer Service Center prior to 3:00 p.m. Requests received after 3:00 p.m. shall be considered to be submitted on the next business day. At the request of the Project Manager, exceptions to the notification requirements may be approved by the Director of Facilities Operations, or in their absence, their designee, the AD for Utility Services, or the AD for BM&O.
8. Fire Alarm System Disconnect/Testing:
*See Fire Alarm Disconnect/Testing Procedure for additional information. The request for Fire Alarm Disconnect Form, see SOP #803, will serve as the Utility Interruption Request for the fire alarm system only.
9. Extensions: The Supervisor/Project Manager making the original
request has the responsibility for notification of any extension of the