FACULTY SENATE MEETING
February 22, 2011
1. Call to Order
Chair Overton called the tenth meeting of the fifty-seventh session of the NC State Faculty Senate to order at 3 p.m.
2. Welcome and Announcements
Chair Overton welcomed Senators and Guests.
The spring General Faculty meeting will be March 15th.
The election for the Secretary of the Faculty will be held during the next Faculty Senate meeting.
Candidates will be screened to serve on the Executive Committee at the April 19 meeting.
Chair Overton stated that a Faculty Senate representative is needed to serve on the University Values and Ethics Administrative Advisory Council. Please contact Chair Overton if you are interested in serving.
3. Approval of the Minutes, Meeting No. 9, February 8, 2011
The minutes were approved as submitted.
4. Comments from Chancellor Woodson
Chancellor Woodson announced that the Princeton Review has named NC State one of the top ten of best buys for public education.
Chancellor Woodson announced that the draft Strategic Plan will soon be posted for public comments. Some of the goals the plan will set for NC State are:To create a dynamic and flexible academic environment;
- Create an exciting learning environment for our students.
- Create and unparalleled campus courage where all staff, students, and faculty feel enabled, valued and supported in their journey toward personal and institutional excellence;
- Expand and diversify a report base which we are all working hard on; and
- Elevate and speak to the value of this institution and constantly hold NC State up to the stake holders as an outstanding institution that is highly valued by those who come here.
5. Comments from Vice Chancellor Leffler/ Provost Arden
Vice Chancellor Leffler and Provost Arden presented a PowerPoint to update the Faculty Senate on the budget.
Vice Chancellor Leffler and Provost Arden discussed the budget realities that are happening now and what they have been asked to do this year and what they are expecting to do.
The PowerPoint presentation is available on the Faculty Senate website at:Resolution Supporting a Resolution of the UNC Faculty Assembly on Academic Freedom
Secretary Hergeth read the resolution for its first reading.
A motion passed to extend the meeting 5 minutes.
The resolution will be presented for a second reading in the next meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.