Left Navigation

Faculty Senate Home Agenda Faculty Senate Bylaws Committees General Faculty Items of Interest Mediation, Grievances & Hearings Meetings & Minutes Resolutions Senators
SEPTEMBER 21, 2004


Present:  Chair Daley, Secretary Weiner, Provost Oblinger, Parliamentarian Corbin; Senators Batra, Baynes, Bernhard, Bitting, Blair, Blank, Branson, Brownie, Bruck, Clark, Estes, Fahmy, Fauntleroy, Hanley-Bowdoin, Hooper, Johnson, Kasal, Kellner, Khosla, Krotee, Martin, McRae, Middleton, Moore, Robarge, B. Smith, R. Smith, Tetro, Warren, Young      

Excused: Chair Elect Allen; Senators Fikry

Absent:  Senator Matthews, Miller, Stein, Wessels

Visitors:   Katie Perry, Senior Vice Provost; John Levin, Professor of Education; Kathy Hart, University Treasurer; Mardecia  S. Bell, Director of ACS; Melissa Watkins, Chair-Elect, Staff Senate; Lee Fowler, Athletic Director; Tom Kendig, Director of Transportation; Benny Benton, Editor of the Bulletin; Steve Keto, Vice Chancellor, Resource Management & Information Systems; Gregory Cain, Assistant Director for  Parking Services; Christine Klein, Transportation; Ed Gehringer, Computer Services; Thomas Conway, Vice Provost, Enrollment Management and Services

1.  Call to Order
Chair Dennis Daley called the third meeting of the fifty-first session of the North Carolina State University Faculty Senate to order at 3:00 p.m.

2. Welcome and Announcements
Chair Daley welcomed Senators and Guests.

Chair Daley announced that the Yale Law School will be interviewing on September 29 between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. in room 3118 Talley Student Center. 

Chair Daley reminded the senators that he sent them a statement from the Provost’s Office detailing regulations that will be put forward on personal care attendance, university space and faculty enrollment in advanced degrees.  He noted that the Office of the Provost would be sending these announcements regularly.  They are often minor regulations.  If the Senate does not object to any of these items they will automatically go into effect. 

3.   Approval of the Minutes, Meeting No. 2, September 7, 2004.
The minutes were approved as corrected. 

4.   Remarks from Provost Oblinger
“We had a very successful Board of Trustees Meeting.  Chair Daley provided an excellent overview of the issues under discussion in the Faculty Senate.  It was a pretty straightforward meeting of the Board with considerable interest in the committee that I staff, the Academic Affairs and Personnel Committee, particularly as it relates to faculty salaries because of course they know that it had been some time since we had any legislative appropriations for salaries to distribute.  You know from my last appearance before you that we talked about counter offers since July 2000 and I brought you up to date on how this year’s legislative increase money was spent along with monies that had been set aside in the campus initiated tuition increase, a package for faculty salaries.  I reviewed that with them.  They were heartened but not satisfied because they know how far we have to go to be competitive the way we have been in the past and to regain the momentum as it relates to salary and remuneration of our faculty.  We adjourned that meeting on Friday afternoon and went directly to the McKimmon Center.  You will recall that Ivan was coming through about that time and if you have seen the steel structure going up on Western Boulevard between the McKimmon Center, Western Boulevard, and Wolf Village you may or may not recognize that as the E. Carol Joyner Visitor Center and Advancement Services Building.  Chancellor Barnhardt led us in a topping out ceremony from inside the McKimmon Center, a Swedish tradition of as you culminate a project you put a pine tree on the top for “good luck”.  We had good attendance there.  This center will be a portal to the university and I am particularly excited about it as it relates to our admissions office because they will have a remote site there where they will greet visitors.  The colleges and all units on this campus will be represented in an amphitheatre type display arena.  I think it will be a first class show place of NC State to visitors of all kind but I am particularly focusing on prospective students and their families in particular, who will see first hand the history and tradition of NC State with, of course, ample parking available. 

Consistent with the message about salaries from the last meeting I thought I would give you an idea about other expenditures that we have made in the past months that were predicated on the enrollment increase funding that came to the campus as well as a portion of the campus initiated tuition increase dollars that were earmarked for quality and accessibility investments by the tuition advisory task force.  The total amount of about  $5M has been allocated and it has been done in a very consistent manner with both compact priorities and the recommendations of the tuition task force. We are keeping track of the type of data that our Faculty Advisory Budget Commission is going to want to review in terms of how we prioritize, and how we decide where to invest.  I will give you a very quick summary of the utilization of those dollars.  Several faculty lines have been allocated to the colleges.  Again, I emphasize that this was consistent with compact planning priorities.  I held the deans’ feet to the fire because as a result of the initial draft of the compact plans some $60M were requested and we have never seen that kind of money in one year.  We saw approximately $3.5M so I asked the deans to prioritize within that.  I think we got down to a very manageable and discrete list to make allocations to faculty lines in microbial biotechnology, biomedical engineering, sport management, electrical and computer engineering, statistics, social work, international studies, bioinformatics, management, and genomics.  I hope that as we continue to refine the compact planning process, that you will see more and more targeted investments like that into areas that are coming on line with new degree programs that have been through the very arduous process of approval at several levels, and now are culminated in the allocation of resources to those particular areas.  I would also say that as it relates to campus initiated tuition increase funding there is considerable interest in accountability. We invested in the student owned computer initiative in the College of Engineering, provided significant start up assistance for faculty positions, some in line with Senator Robarge’s question to me two weeks ago in terms of fitting out space to accommodate new faculty, infrastructure in the Friday Institute, career services positions in our Career Service Center that had not been invested in for the past ten years and yet all of our students save for our students in Textiles and Agriculture and Life Sciences use that facility.   These are very targeted investments.  Enrollment infrastructure is an area that has been neglected in my opinion in years when we have had far many more enrollment dollars than we have had this past year.  In other words, “Where are our majors situated?  For instance, how many credit hours are PAMS and CHASS providing all of our majors? Well we are reinvesting in that infrastructure to make that possible in a more predictable fashion as it relates to the pre-enrollment pressures that we get in summer orientation and we will have in November/December related to spring term.  We had fewer problems this year than in any years past as it relates to having sections and seats available for students so I think we are making very significant progress, but it is going to be gradual progress because that is an area that has not received a lot of attention and we need to do something about that.  

The graduate student support plan was invested in, again benefiting many units and finally we invested in the LITRE Program.  You will recall that LITRE grew out of the SACS review.  We passed with flying colors as it related to our compliance items on this campus.  In fact, it is the first time I am aware of that a team left here telling us that we had met all of our 73 compliance categories which is truly exceptional for a university of this breath, depth, size and magnitude.  The one thing that was new in the SACS review this year was we had to have a quality enhancement plan and that is where LITRE fits in, Learning In a Technology Rich Environment.  Everything from classroom up fit with current technology and a technical assistance allocation that I have not previously mentioned, to be sure that that equipment is working when the faculty needs it in the classrooms, has been dealt with.  Lavon Paige will be announcing a LITRE grants program, small incentive grants that we are hoping will stimulate novel approaches of using technology in teaching and learning.  He will make that announcement this fall and it is all geared toward enhancement of the student’s learning experience on this campus utilizing technology.  This is not a one year or two year plan, LITRE will spend a decade on this work, so it is not just a flash in the pan and it is representative of a continuing investment in our faculty and in our students and what this university is all about as it relates to teaching and learning.  These are researchable topics as well so we are going to get very good value out of a fairly limited dollar investment.

Enrollment Planning is very important to us.  Not just at the undergraduate level where the Deans and the Associate Deans negotiate with our undergraduate admissions people, but particularly important at the graduate level.  I can’t imagine that you have not been in meetings when Bob Sowell or someone from the graduate school talks about a new approach that we are using as it relates to enrollment planning at the graduate level.  We are working with individual graduate units where the action is in term of acceptances and do we have enough money if there is a stipend involved to attract that student here.  I think that is going to also help us plan our enrollment.  Enrollment increase money is one of the few sources of new dollars into our enterprise.  I can look back with envy at former Provosts when they had from six to fourteen million dollars of enrollment increase money to invest.  The year I came in there was $1.2M and this past year I have just told you about $3.5M.  We are anticipating that level as opposed to the former level of enrollment increase simply because as you look around us we are space poor as it relates to accommodating students particularly in some very high demand areas.  

The Provost is charged with comprehensive program and leadership reviews and those really relate to five-year reviews of deans.  We will have three deans undergoing the comprehensive planning and program review this year.  They are Kay Moore in Education, Dan Solomon in Physical and Mathematical Sciences, and Blanton Godfrey in Textiles.  This is a very intensive process.  Faculty Senators from the collages are intimately involved in this because we will form a faculty committee that is often formed around a nucleus of faculty senators.   The committee will meet with the Provost.  We will talk about instrumental analysis and feedback from the faculty and perhaps the staff but then there will also be a seminar retrospective and forward-looking from the dean.  There will be sessions with the Chancellor and the Provost visiting with individual faculty and faculty groups as well as the administration in that college to collate that comprehensive program and leadership review. 

Nino Masnari is chairing the search for the Dean in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.  That is a very large committee with approximately sixteen people.  Some thirty applicants have been narrowed to ten who were comprehensively scrutinized via checking their references over the telephone.  There are five finalists in that pool right now and they are in the process of lining up schedules for campus visits.   This committee felt very strongly about bypassing what both Management and Veterinary Medicine had in terms of airport interviews.  They felt very comfortable with the five finalists as very competitive candidates and therefore I approved moving ahead with scheduling those visits to campus.  

I would ask you to consider nominating appropriate individuals for the Honorary Degree, a most prestigious honor that NC State University awards.  We had a meeting of the Honorary Degree Committee last Thursday morning, and there were some excellent nominees and some that we are checking into further.  Those who have participated in that process, I appreciate it a great deal and solicit your continued nominations.   There is a one-page web assessable form from the Senate Page or the Provost’s Page and I encourage your active participation in this process.

Senator Blank wanted to know if there are any guidance as to how many Honorary Degrees are given in terms of the numbers in any given year.

Provost Oblinger responded, nothing written.  “From discussions to date somewhere between three and five is what the committee has generally settled on and the way the process works is once someone is thoroughly vetted and recommended to the Board of Trustees and once the Trustees say yes, the process is that those people are notified and are then given a graduation date over the next three years.  So until it starts to sort out as to who is selected for December or May of which particular year in that three-year time frame we really don’t know how many will be on the stage, but the way it has worked out in terms of time, three to five have caught it very nicely.  One of the concerns that I had upon arriving in the Provost’s Office was that we had one in the cube and that is not what we should be doing or in a position to do.  A university of this status with the connections that it has should be in a better position.  We are working toward that. “

Chair Daley stated that there is a role for faculty to play here.  “They are always looking for people for Honorary Degrees who have a relationship with North Carolina State.  People you have worked with from other universities over the years on perhaps successful alumni.  They don’t have to be rich, but people who have gone out and where a degree from this school has made a difference in their lives and they have accomplished things.  We also of course have looked for people who have done things for North Carolina.  You don’t have to have a college degree.  It counts if you have done something that has made a difference in North Carolina. “

Provost Oblinger stated that there is a very nice statement on the website about qualifiers associated with the Honorary Degree.  “One benefit that Chair Daley did not mention is a potential connection with the university because we have actually had Honorary Degree recipients who by virtue of the process learned of connections that they would like to have be they scholarly or other kinds of connections with the university.  It has been a very useful recognition.  I mean that in the most positive sense.”

Senator McRae wanted to know if there is an opportunity for faculty feedback once the final choices are made for compact planning.

Provost Oblinger stated that he relies heavily on the process that deans and department heads have used because by the time it gets to the Provost’s desk “it is to have been thoroughly vetted and I assure you in this last round extraordinarily prioritized to within reason for the resource base that we had available. I rely very heavily on the process at the unit level and the unit can be defined at that point as the college and I certainly expect that the deans are involving the departments and the departments in turn the faculty in those departments.  I will tell you that I know there are considerable variations from unit to unit but at my level that is the process I will have expected to happen. “

Senator McRae stated that the faculty sometimes hear that a new initiative or a new idea that they should be put into the compact plan, and given the number of initiatives and the dollar requirements it sounds like the odds are not too good for funding or support.

Provost Oblinger stated that he thinks the deans did an excellent job of prioritization.  “I think that there were new initiatives in the compact.  I know that there were excellent continuing initiatives as high priorities in some of the colleges and I can tell you that with the availability of the CITI (Campus Initiated Tuition Increase) money, I was able to do some of the things that I think have been overlooked in the past and that is reinvesting in colleges that are responsible for tremendous credit hour generation or have significant numbers of students, particularly the undergraduates.  You can look back and there have not been too many of those investments made on an annual basis as the crunch of enrollment comes in and then there are investments made in CHASS, PAMS, Engineering, CALS, Management, but my covenant with the deans was if I put this money there to address those infrastructure continuing costs that you have I don’t expect to have to do that every year.  I expect to have you continue to use that money in the context in which it was given to you and if you do that I will continue to try and add to it.  It seems to be working very well in the first year that we have done that.  It will take time.  If that had been done when we had 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 million dollars it would have been done in a lot shorter period of time.   I think it is a budget philosophy that you can’t fund only new initiatives particularly after what we have been through in terms of budget reductions. “

Senator Moore stated that his understanding is that the new university wide evaluation instruction form will be used this fall.  A lot of faculty with whom he has spoken were not aware of this form so he was wondering will information be coming from the Provost’s Office to the deans at some point and time to let the faculty know that this is coming.

Senior Vice Provost Perry stated that the evaluation instruction form was piloted over the summer.  The goal is to implement it across the university in the spring.   The responsibility is with the undergraduate program and they are working with University Planning and Analysis as far as centralized data management location.

Chair Daley noted that the form was developed in a student/faculty committee and was approved by the Faculty Senate.

5. Remarks from Steve Keto, Associate Vice Chancellor for Resource Management & Information Systems
Associate Vice Chancellor Keto stated that he was asked to speak on the administrative system security and the use of social security numbers in particular. 

“We have two primary types of identifications and passwords.  If you use either the Financial or Human Resources systems you are issued an identification that is similar to your unity ID.  It has a different password and is run through a system called intrasecure and that application times out after 90 days, which will enable you to change your password every 90 days.  It used to time out after 30 days.

The second password ID system that we have is for the student information system.  That identification and password is maintained differently but also times out after 90 days.  The student information system is an old mainframe system that will at some point be replaced by something more modern and more usable by the faculty and staff. 

We also have some administrative applications such as the leave system part of the administrative portal that relies on the unity ID for access.  The administrative portal is something that you will see a lot more of.  The Registration and Records Office is using it for a lot of the students’ information.  Those who would like to learn more about the administrative portal are encouraged to attend the exposition on October 8 at the Talley Student Center from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.  

Associate Vice Chancellor Keto explained the process for resetting passwords.

Keto stated that as of January 1, 2004 the SSN is no longer used as the primary key/identifier in our Administrative Systems.  Any new requests to access the SSN have to be submitted through the Dean and Vice Chancellor to the data steward of the respective area. 

Keto reported that they don’t know much more about the budget than has already been noted.   We had a better than expected year.  We have 7% more money to spend this year than we ended with last year.  It is too early to tell whether or not the Governor will take some away before the end of the year because of either economic problems within the state or the damage of the Ivan aftermath in Western North Carolina.  There could be what might be one-time reversions again as the year progresses. 

The other potential concern we always have is that this university’s budget depends on $110M worth of tuition, so if we miss our mix of enrollment between resident and non-resident students there is a very good likelihood that we might not get that $110M worth of tuition receipts which, then translates to a budgetary crisis of some sort.  Right now we have enough to cover it and hopefully the spring will be better than the fall as far as the enrollment is concerned. 

6.  Remarks from Tom Kendig, Director of Transportation
“We always appreciate the opportunity to come and talk about parking.  We have been hearing from you and your colleagues about some of the changes we have made in the past year and would like to take this opportunity to address some of those concerns. 

We went through a rather extensive process last year in developing some of the changes for this year.  We developed an advisory team that consisted of faculty, staff, and students.  We consulted a nationwide parking expert consulting firm.  We talked to our front line staff and through that process we developed a number of alternatives that we wanted to try this year.  Once we came up with those proposals we brought them to this body.  We came to the Staff and Student Senates.  We went to the Physical Environment Committee, which oversees most of our operations.  We went to the Inter-residency Council, the Executive Officers, the University Council, and ultimately to the Board of Trustees who adopted these changes for this year and allowed us to implement them.  The area where we are hearing most of the concerns is one of the changes we made regarding your ability to park in the “C” zone and not be able to park in the decks, neither the Dan Allen Deck where we have isolated that into two halves, nor the Coliseum Deck itself.   What we were trying to do there was better manage the system - try to get a better idea of how many people are parking in that deck on a day to day basis and allow us to sell the proper number of permits so that we can maximize the usage of those facilities.  I think we have done that.  What we have been able to do thus far is sell an additional 450 permits to folks who otherwise would have been unable to park on campus. Primarily these folks are graduate students, teaching assistants, and researchers.  We think what we have done this year has been a success.  We have been able to get more people on campus.  We are still selling permits trying to maximize those parking spaces and we think that by restricting perhaps your movement somewhat this has allowed us to provide parking for more people overall.  Certainly being told you can’t park in a place where you parked before is different, but our “C” permits are allowed to park in an entire “C” zone.  We have not filled our “C” zone on the core of campus this year.  There are spaces available.  They are not as convenient perhaps as some and if you come in at peak times it is likely you will have to search for them because those primaries fill up quickly.   We think to some extent, that some of those problems may be behind us as our campus settles in to its new fall schedule.  Certainly the first week is a very rough time for all of us.  I heard the Provost talking the other day about trying to balance the seats, that is, having the right number of seats in various locations.  Transportation has those similar kinds of issues in terms of both buses and parking spaces and trying to get them all where they need to be.  I think that we have witnessed that as the fall settles in, the parking seems to settle down a little bit and we have not noticed the crunch that we did initially.  I hope that has been your experience as well.”

Senator Warren wanted to know if there is a way to get a system that will make it easier to get parking permits for guest speakers.

Senator Bruck requested that Kendig review the policy on visitor parking.

Kendig said that visitor parking has been a difficult issue for us.  “The policy states that you are a visitor if you come to campus less than three times a week, which enables you to park for free.  If the visitor comes through the information booth on Stinson Drive, because we do not have the North Campus parking spaces, they will be directed to either the Dan Allen Deck or the Coliseum Deck and that is what we have been doing with most of our visitors over the past year because there has been a tremendous crunch in the “B” zone.

Long term we are looking at providing some more parking options on North Campus.  We are investigating the possibility of starting to build a deck in the Riddick lot that is envisioned in the master plan and if we are able to do that we envision using the first level of that deck for visitor parking.  The upper levels of that deck would be for “B” permit holders and hopefully that would address the visitors’ issues.”

Greg Cain, Assistant Director for Parking Services,  “One of the options available is that with the support of your dean’s office you can request a reserved space that can be used how ever the division feels is proper.  Several of the departments on North Campus have taken the advantage of that in the last year.  I am also working on a plan this year to institute a fee for visitor’s parking that can either be paid by the visitors or the departments, which is the way it works on 99% of the campuses in this country.  We need to go that route as well. “

Kendig,  “The system that we have in place right now is that our enforcement officers may go out there and write a ticket on a vehicle that does not have a permit and if it is their first permit ever on this campus, it is written as a warning which is a no fine ticket.  If they have been on campus before and have received a ticket of some kind and appear in our database then we will issue them a legitimate $40 or $50 dollar ticket.” 

Senator Batra stated that if you permit a visitor to be a visitor for two or three times or less per week your database will tell you if that visitor has been here two times or less per week.  “Could you not institute a system that the faculty member affiliated with the visitor signs at the bottom of the ticket to certify that this is a visitor and then the ticket is forgiven?  It seems that there is always a way to handle these issues.”

Kendig,  “We don’t really keep up with that information.  It is one of those trust type issues.  The information booths will let people in if they tell them they are a visitor and it is only after they get familiar with the face that they will question that.  In reality it could be two, three or more times a week.  We don’t actually require them to provide their name, license number or anything else.” 

Senator Young wanted to know if the Department of Transportation is using social security numbers anywhere. 

Kendig,  “We switched students out of that system last year and we are now at a place where we do not require that for the staff or faculty.” 

Senator Martin stated, “You hear problems being addressed and we are told that everything is fine as it is and that strikes me as a little bit strange.  There are lots of solutions here but we are being told that everything is fine as it is. With respect to the Dan Allen Deck, I fortunately have a “B” sticker so I don’t need to worry about it but I have not heard that this problem is in any way resolved but what I have heard from you was that there was a problem at the beginning but we did nothing and it has taken care of itself.  From what I am hearing from faculty, it is most definitely not resolved.  Faculty in particular need the benefit of parking more so than students and I see undergraduates coming and parking in “B” zones and I ask, “What is going on here?”  The faculty needs to be able to get to their classes.  They need to go to different places for collaborative meetings and their research.   How can faculty do their jobs given the current parking system, and why do I hear that there is a problem from the faculty but what I just heard from you is that everything is working just fine.”

Kendig,  “If everyone comes in at 9:45 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is the peak parking time, they are going to have a difficult time finding a parking space.  There is no doubt about that.  We have noticed that if we go to the deck and drive up to the very top there has been a hand full of spaces left.  Certain times I am sure it will fill up and we are going to have to ask you to go to one of the other “C” zones. The next closest “C” zone would be the Central Campus pay lot behind the Student Health Center.  I certainly recognize that there are still some parking concerns out there.  Again, when we have 35,000 people trying to squeeze into 16,000 parking spaces, there will inevitably be parking problems.”

Senator Hanley-Bowdoin stated that the faculty is split between two campuses and they have to be able to come back and forth between multiple campuses and have to be able to find space at difficult times of the day.  If they have to spend one half hour searching for a space and walk fifteen or twenty minutes to their destination they have lost an hour on their schedules that day.  There needs to be some mechanism to make this transition for faculty a very efficient process so that they do not lose an hour of their time. 

Kendig,  “That is what we are trying to do by offering folks who have to do that type of thing the option of purchasing a DC permit or a DD permit which will allows you to park in either the Dan Allen Deck or the Coliseum Deck.  It gives you access to almost one thousand spaces over on Centennial Campus and you have a guaranteed parking space there.” 

Senator Hanley-Bowdoin stated that what she is hearing is that it is not enough space to accommodate these people. 

Kendig responded that on the DD side of the deck there is space and that is what we are trying to manage. 

Professor Gehringer stated that some use the Wolfline to go between campuses and there is a problem with the lack of a stop at Horne Street.  “You can take the Centennial Campus bus with the southeast loop but there is no stop anymore at Horne Street.  I have raised this with Pat Mitchell and he said it would be dangerous to put a stop there.  I don’t understand that because the CAT and TTA buses have a stop there and they are not aware of a safety problem and moreover there was a stop there this summer and there was a stop there before the buses used to come down Founders Drive so I don’t see why there can’t be a stop, which would enable us to get off the bus at Horne street and walk two minutes instead of getting off at Scott Hall and walking six minutes.  I think there is a real need there to improve connectivity for those of us who are tied to the schedules that involves both campuses. “

Kendig,  “I can look into that.  What they have been trying to do with some of the Centennial buses is try to make them as efficient as possible.  They have the shuttle bus that only has four stops altogether, two on Centennial Campus and two stops on main campus.  The idea there is to get it to move as quickly as possible.”

Senator Brent Smith asked if there are any plans to put shelters up so people won’t have to stand in the rain, cold, heat and sun.

Kendig,  “This is all part of our five-year plan.  What we have been doing over the last year is developing a list of needs.  The bus shelters are in that list of needs, and traffic improvements are in that list of needs.”

Senator Smith wanted to know when they might be completed.

Kendig,  “We are going to go out to campus in the next month and if we can get everyone to buy into some of these ideas, and some of them will require fee increases on the transit side in particular, then we can start to force that implementation.  We are trying to develop an implementation plan for the next five years so that we can go out and provide amenities like that and provide improvements in the traffic operation. “

Senator Smith wanted to know if there is a specific target date to have shelters up on Centennial Campus.

Kendig,  “No, not at this time.” 

Senator Smith wanted to know if there are statistics on how many pedestrian injuries and/or fatalities there have been involving people crossing Western Boulevard and if that has any influence on plans to put a safe pedestrian crossing there?

Kendig,  “ That is a is a good question.  There are a couple of options for improving that pedestrian access there.  One of those we proposed is something that we can’t afford alone.  We developed a concept of separation- this would actually be a tunnel under Western Boulevard that would allow pedestrians, bicyclists and even the possibility of our future people mover to go under Western Boulevard and not have to interact with the traffic.  Right now the cost of that is about $8.0M.  We have submitted a request to the Department of Transportation to try to access some federal and state transportation funds to help us do that because we don’t have that kind of money to make that improvement. We are seeking some outside monies to make that improvement. 

I don’t know that we have had any fatalities there at that intersection.  I know that as part of our plan we have been studying accident rates all across campus.”

Senator Smith stated that he has seen three people run down at that intersection in the ten years that he has been here.  “The buses stop on the wrong side of Western so you can’t get off the bus without having to cross over the road.  You have to cross Western to try to get down to that part of campus.  It is an extremely dangerous crossing and the lack of shelters is ridiculous.” 

Senator Baynes wanted to know the time line for the people mover between Centennial and main campus and he hopes between the Vet School and main campus. 

Kendig”  “The Vet School will probably be integrated much more quickly than Centennial will by the people mover.  TTA is proposing to have a stop right across the street from the Vet School and the next stop up the line is going to be on main campus.   We are working with them on how we can get people from the Vet School over to that station and then how we will finance that.  Those discussions are under way.  Three years is when TTA is telling us that they are going to be up and in operation. They are coming on campus next year and will impact parking on North Campus in a big way. “

Senator Blank asked where we were in the planning process for the monorail. 

Kendig,  “That has been on the plan for a long time.  We obviously need some kind of system of connecting the two campuses.  It was investigated and pursued for a while.  I think the concept was that we were looking for some rich uncle to come in and help us with that system and at the same time find some research activities.  I don’t know that that possibility is still out there.  We are still investigating long term whether that is going to be the only way we can connect these two campuses.  In the five-year plan that we are discussing we are not anticipating that being in place.  We are going to meet the transportation needs with our buses, but long term we are still looking at that.”

Senator McRae commented that it seems that a lot of these problems and questions could have been alleviated by more communication from the Department of Transportation to the actual permit holders. 

Kendig, “We would love to hear from you all as to how to better do that because we feel like we have bent over backwards trying to communicate these changes to the campus community.  We sent out emails, hard mails, we tried everything we could this past spring to notify everyone of these changes.  We went all across campus and spoke to any group that would listen to us.  I have to respectfully disagree with that statement and I would be glad for any ideas you have on how we can better communicate because that is certainly our objective.”

Senator McRae observed that two to four times a week he experiences aggressive driving of the bus drivers.  He has had to slam on brakes on a couple occasions to keep from hitting them. 

Kendig,  “Anywhere that you have 500 buses a day trying to get out of some of these campus streets we are going to have that kind of thing.  I don’t condone them being unsafe but if they were completely polite we would never get the buses off the campus.”

Senator Bruck stated that Kendig and his staff are probably working their buts off trying to solve a problem that cannot be solved.  “When you think big, there should be no cars on this campus.  You cannot get 35,000 cars into 16,000 spaces. We have to be thinking big and it is going to cost millions. We have Congressmen and the Department of Transportation.  We want to call ourselves a technologically great university, let’s solve the problem instead of trying to squeeze cars in. “

Senator Fahmy would like for Transportation to suspend the parking rules for the Fall Faculty Meeting.

Kendig,  “There are a lot of events over there and our dilemma is, again, there is only a certain number of parking spaces and if we were to displace our permit holders every time an event came on campus we would probably never have people in their base parking areas.  We probably would never allow you to park in there because there is demand for that from outside groups every day but we have been trying to hold a line and get our staff and faculty in those spots first and then when events come up like this we have to work with them on transit, we have to work with them on different alternatives. “

Senator Clark noted that due to construction he does occasionally park illegally in the parking deck.  It is not so much of trying to find a parking space but due to construction. “The fact of the matter is that I have to get to class.  If I don’t get there then 30-40 students are out of luck.  I sometimes don’t have any valid choices to make”

7.  Issues of Concern
Chair Daley assigned the issue of concern on “Senior Lecturer” that was presented by Senator Baynes in the last meeting, to the Personnel Policy Committee.

8.  Memoriam for Professor Valerie-Lee Chapman
Professor John Levin from the College of Education read a memorial statement in honor of Professor Valerie-Lee Chapman who recently past away.

9.  New Business
Resolution on Academic Freedom
Senator Catherine Warren presented the resolution for its first reading.

Chair Daley assigned the resolution to the Academic Policy Committee.

10.  Reports
Senator McRae reported that the Personnel Policy Committee has dealt with the published changes to the policy on the six realms and at the request of the Chair the University Reappointment Promotion and Tenure Committee have reviewed them.  

Senator Bernhard reported that the Resources and Environment Committee met last Tuesday with Michael Harwood, University Architect and Sylvia Blankenship, Interim Dean from CALS.  They discussed infrastructure versus programmatic needs and the past lack of contact with the faculty about plans.  The committee plans to pursue that further.

11.  Adjournment
Chair Daley adjourned the meeting at 4:50 p.m.

Footer Nav