FYC's Vision and Mission Statements
The First Year College will be the premier comprehensive program for undecided students in the nation.
The mission of the First Year College at NC State University is to guide students through a structured process for transition to the University and selection of a major. This is accomplished through one-on-one advising, teaching and experiential learning, the First Year College Village, emphasizing theoretical and practical methods of inquiry, guided reflection, engagement, assessment and analysis. Through this process students will gain the foundation for acquiring the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to become self-reliant and productive citizens of an increasingly diverse community.
The goals of the First Year College are:
- To encourage all First Year College students to collaborate with the entire NC State community in order to enhance their own University experience
- To encourage students to make a carefully-analyzed, reflective, and timely decision regarding an academic major and to explore related careers
- To encourage students’ awareness of and participation in the increasingly diverse community they have joined
- To positively impact student academic success, self-reliance, first-year retention, and progress towards degree through one-on-one advising and structured experiential teaching and learning
- To practice the use of sound advising strategies in First Year College programs and courses, as exemplified in the NACADA Core Values
This page last updated by mmrust- July 4, 2008 10:41 AM