Beginning Your Academic Career
First Year College has had a common reading program for over ten years. Our students have read Marian Wright Edelman’s The Measure of Our Success, Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death, and William Cronon’s ’Only Connect’: The Goals of a Liberal Education. In 2005, the University started a common reading program in which FYC and many of the other NC State Colleges participate. We've even been fortunate to have the summer reading author serve as the Convocation Celebration Speaker.
Past Common Reading Books
- 2011- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot*
- 2010- Half the Sky, Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn*
- 2009- Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson* and David Oliver Relin
- 2008- Sounds of the River, Da Chen*
- 2007- Colors of the Mountain, Da Chen*
- 2006- Tuesdays With Morrie, Mitch Albom*
- 2005- Tuesdays With Morrie, Mitch Albom
Questions about any aspect of the FYC Curriculum can be directed to Donna Burton, Assistant Director for Curriculum and Teaching.
*Served as University Convocation Speaker
This page last updated by mmrust- June 25, 2012 5:05 PM