NCAA WALTER BYERS POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
SPONSORING AGENCY: National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
PURPOSE: This scholarship recognizes the contributions of the former NCAA Executive Director, Walter Byers, through encouraging excellence in academic performance by student-athletes. Each year, one male and one female student athlete will be awarded a postgraduate scholarship in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and potential for success in postgraduate study in his or her planned career.
- Have an overall undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or better (based on a maximum 4.0), or the equivalent in other recognized grading systems;
- Have competed in intercollegiate athletics as a member of a varsity team at an NCAA member institution;
- Be a graduating senior or be enrolled in graduate study at an NCAA member institution;
- Have intentions of applying for admission into a graduate degree program at a properly accredited, nonprofit educational institution or into a post baccalaureate professional degree program at a professionally accredited law school, medical school, or the equivalent, without restriction as to the national site of the institution;
- Be committed to work on a full-time basis toward a graduate degree or toward a post baccalaureate professional degree;
- Have evidenced superior character and leadership;
Have demonstrated that participation in athletics has been a positive influence on the nominee's personal and intellectual development. Relative success in athletics is important but not of overriding significance; and
Enroll into a graduate degree program within five years of being named a Byers Scholar.
STIPEND: $24,000 per academic year; may be renewed for a second year
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are by nomination only. Applications are available on-line in September of each year and the completed applications are due back to the national office in late January.