GUIDELINES FOR USE OF Materials, Supplies Equipment and Travel Funds - Instructions for IMSD Scholars
Each year, undergraduate IMSD scholars are allocated funds for materials, supplies and travel expenses. There are several guidelines to remember when making purchases:
- All expenses must be directly related to your research.
- Items such as text books, book bags, carrying cases, furniture (including file cabinets), memberships, subscriptions to Internet services or journals are not allowable.
- All supplies and/or materials you purchase should be for YOUR PRIMARY USE ONLY. Under no circumstances may IMSD funds be used for the general operating expenses of your lab or department.
- Any equipment/hardware purchased will remain the property of your department after you graduate.
For questions on what expenses are allowable and which ones are not, please do not hesitate to contact Erin Banks, Ph.D, in the Graduate School at 513-1635 or via e-mail at email@example.com
Procedures for Using IMSD Allocation for materials, supplies, and travel
IMPORTANT REMINDER: All purchases, reimbursements or travel expenses must be approved by your advisor.
Please have them sign your invoices or receipts before submitting them to the Graduate School.
PAYMENTS TO VENDORS:
- To make a payment directly to a vendor, contact Erin Banks, Ph.D at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-1635 in the Graduate School to get a "voucher" number. (FYI--Vendors may understand the term "purchase order" number, rather than "voucher" number.)
- After you give the vendor the voucher number, the vendor will give you the merchandise and an invoice. Have your advisor sign or initial the invoice to signify that he or she agrees with the purchase. This is important for audit purposes. Simply send the invoice to Erin Banks at Box 7102, and we will pay the vendor directly.
- NOTES: 1) If the vendor wants to send the invoice directly to the Graduate School, that's fine. Please have them mail it to the Graduate Fellowships Office at Box 7102, NC State University, Raleigh, NC27695-7102. In this case, we will need an e-mail from your advisor indicating that he or she approves of your purchase.
- REIMBURSEMENTS PAID TO YOU FOR PURCHASES OF SUPPLIES (including purchases from the NCSU Bookstore)
NOTE: Faculty, staff and students are required to make purchases from State Contract Vendors. Most of your regular scientific supply vendors are fine, but if you have questions, you can look at the website http://www.doa.state.nc.us/PandC/keyword.asp. If you have any questions, please contact David Shafer.
- IMPORTANT: In order to use a receipt to process a reimbursement to you, the receipt must indicate a "$0" balance or be marked clearly as "Paid". Otherwise, the Accounting Office will only pay the vendor, not you. If your receipt does not show that you paid it, you must also submit a copy of your credit or debit card statement or a cancelled check in order for reimbursement to be made to you.
- Please submit ORIGINAL receipts. Credit card receipts or photocopies will not be accepted by the NCSU accounting office. Receipts should show where the items were purchased and an itemized list of all purchases. If the receipt is not itemized, please attach a list describing all purchases.
- Have your advisor sign the receipt (or a cover sheet if multiple receipts.)
- Write your name on each receipt (if not pre-printed).
- Please tape small receipts (smaller than ½ sheet) to a sheet of paper.
NOTE: It is easiest to pay the vendor directly whenever possible since it may take up to 30 days for you to be reimbursed for payments that YOU make to vendors.
(NOTE: Reimbursement for travel expenses follow University guidelines and University Accounting procedures as outlined in the Administrative Procedures Manual. This includes reimbursement for meals at the per diem rates established by the State of North Carolina.)
STEP 1) Prior to your trip, please submit the Travel Authorization Form to Erin Banks.
STEP 2) Upon your return, please submit your receipts for reimbursement with the Travel Reimbursement Form.
If you have any questions at all about the above procedures, please feel free to contact Erin Banks, Ph.D., IMSD Director, at email@example.com or 919-513-1635.