Professional Science Master’s (PSMs) are
interdisciplinary STEM programs
that focus on educating students
to solve today’s challenges and
close the existing skills gap in the workplace. PSMs include
trade-specific management in the curricula and have a high
degree of engagement with local and global employers.
In North Carolina, the number and popularity of the PSMs are increasing
rapidly. Examples are exciting new degrees in the fields of biotechnology, climate change, energy, food supply, financial mathematics, analytics, information technology, health, diagnostics, environment, geospatial information, and nanoscience.
Professionals from more than 456 companies,
government agencies and nonprofit organizations
have already contributed to the success of the
UNC Systemwide PSM Program by providing high tech projects, workplace immersion experiences, professional skills training, networking and mentoring, monetary support, and jobs.
Because these degrees are designed in collaboration with local
employers and tailored to meet their needs, most graduates are
highly competitive and find employment quickly.
- Co-create graduate education to meet their needs
- Gain access to university resources and out-of-the-box student expertise
- Interact with potential future employees (and hire the best of them)
UNC System Faculty and Staff
Gain access to employer networks and resources
Offer employment-relevant education for students choosing careers outside the university environment (approximately 80% of graduates)
Fulfill part of the University of North Carolina's mission
- Gain competitive, employment-relevant education and employer networks
- Learn essential professional skills and the newest technology
- Increase likelihood of obtaining employment
- Gains the economic benefits of an employment-ready workforce