As a state entity, the University of North Carolina System is subject to the State Personnel Act. University Positions are administered in accordance with the provisions and requirements of that Act. Positions covered by the Act are referred to as SPA positions.
As the primary contact for EPA personnel matters the Academic Personnel Coordinator is available to consult with you on various issues concerning EPA employment/classification/compensation activity. This position serves to extend and expedite the EPA services provided to campus. Responsibilities include consulting and advising faculty and administrators regarding EPA personnel policies and recommended courses of action related to EPA employment; other duties involve meeting with college deans and other administrators to discuss personnel matters and to develop and revise EPA policies and procedures to improve the effectiveness of EPA administration campus wide.
EPA positions are exempt from the State Personnel Act (NC General Statute Chapter 126) and are classified in one of four categories.
- EPA Professional
- Senior Academic Administrative Officer Tier-I (SAAO Tier-I)
- Senior Academic Administrative Officer Tier-II (SAAO Tier-II)
The Guidelines on Interpreting General Statute 126-5(c1)(8): Instructional and Research Staff Exempt from the State Personnel Act further define the "Instructional" and "Research" categories. Information on SAAO designation and the procedures for establishing an SAAO position are also available.
- Analysis Tool for Non-Faculty EPA Status
- Converting Faculty between Academic Year and Fiscal Year appointments
- Create a New EPA Position
- Delegation of Authority for Actions
- EPA Classification Forms
- EPA Consultation
- EPA Contracts & At-Will Appointments Reference Chart
- EPA Offer Letters
- EPA Salary Adjustments
- Non-Tenure-Track Faculty Ranks & Appointments
- Reclassify (or Re-title) an Existing EPA Position
- Translation of Non Tenure Track Workings Hours to FTE