Creating a new SPA Position
Departmental growth and restructuring may create the need to establish new positions. All SPA positions are subject to the rules and regulations of the State Personnel Act and are established by the Human Resources Classification & Compensation Department . The request to establish a new position must be reviewed by Classification & Compensation before advertising, recruiting or hiring transactions can be initiated. An interview with the supervisor may be scheduled to gain a better understanding of organizational needs. If necessary, the Interview Preparation Guide provides an outline of what to expect during the interview process.
To Complete the Request to Establish a New Position Use the Following Guidelines:
- Access and review the most applicable career band title of the appropriate competency profile for the new position you wish to create.
- Complete the Career-Banding Position Description Form
- Complete the other supporting documentation:
- Obtain the appropriate departmental signatures.
- Submit the Career-Banding Position Description Form and all supporting documentation to the College or Division Personnel Office.
- The College/Division Personnel Office will forward the new position request to Human Resources Classification & Compensation to be finalized.
- Human Resources will review and assign the appropriate career-banded title and corresponding pay range.
- To initiate a consultation, a supervisor may contact a Classification & Compensation Staff Member, who can provide guidance on developing the job description and position design.
- Position Action Workflow Chart (pdf) – Depicts the workflow process of a position action request from initiation by the department to the action in the HR System.