Employment Services administers recruitment, selection, and salary administration for staff (SPA, Subject to the State Personnel Act) vacancies. Exceptions to normal hiring practices in relation to qualifications and salary are subject to the approval of the Office of State Personnel.
- Hiring Standards
- Vacancy Posting
- Waiver of Posting
- Guiding Policies and Other Resources
Each SPA position classification has minimum state standards for education and experience. These standards indicate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for successful job performance. Specific formal education may be substituted for required experience.
Directly related experience also may be substituted for certain educational requirements. Hiring departments in cooperation with Employment Services are responsible for determining job-related qualifications required in addition to minimum state standards. Educational and experience preferences are also determined by the hiring department.
To ensure compliance with state and federal laws, Employment Services approves and coordinates the placement of advertisements. For vacancies targeted for Affirmative Action, advertisement in female- or minority-specific publications may be required.
Employment Services coordinates approved advertisement copy, publications, and run dates with the hiring department. Media sources include newspapers, trade journals, and direct mail fliers. Costs of media advertisements are billed to the hiring department.
- Hiring departments submit a Vacancy Notice online through the Online Employment System. Hiring departments indicate the level of posting desired.
- Vacancies may be posted internally for permanent NC State University employees only or for external applicants. Both have a minimum 5-day posting period.
- External vacancies are used for wide dissemination of vacancy information. Vacancies are posted on the NC State University web site and are displayed in Human Resources, Vacancies are also advertised on Yahoo! HotJobs.com.
- Internal vacancies provide career mobility and advancement for internal candidates. Vacancies are posted on the NC State University web site and displayed in Human Resources.
- Normal screening, referral and approval procedures apply to all levels of posting.
A waiver of posting may be requested only to
- Avoid a reduction-in-force
- Affect a disciplinary transfer
- Achieve a mandatory reinstatement
- Transfer en employee to avoid the threat of bodily harm
- Prevent critical work stoppage or protect the public health, safety, or security or
- Fill a position as a result of a redeployment arrangement.
A vacancy notice must be completed online as well as an application for the individual to be hired. A waiver request (electronic memo) must be sent to Employment and must include the reason the waiver is needed, the salary requested, and an effective date. The request must have prior approval by the Unit Affirmative Action Representative.
Guiding Policies and Other Resources
Policies, Regulations, Rules, Recruitment