Exit Interview Program
The NC State Exit Interview Program is designed to identify work environment issues that contribute to retention and turnover; to provide exiting employees an opportunity to voice concerns and make suggestions; and to ensure the retrieval of university assets when an employee separates from employment.
All full-time and part-time SPA, EPA and Post-Doc employees separating from the university are covered under the program.
Employees transferring within the university are not asked to complete an exit interview or survey; however, individual departments may choose to collect information at the departmental level.
What Is the Policy?
All separating employees should complete an Exit Survey and a Separation Clearance Checklist as well as comply with any departmental exit requirements. Completion of the Exit Survey is highly encouraged but not mandatory.
Exiting employees are strongly encouraged to schedule an Exit Interview.
SPA, EPA Non-Faculty and Post-Doc employees who would like to complete a face-to-face exit interview with Employee Relations may contact their department personnel representatives or Employee Relations at (919) 515-6575 to schedule an interview. Faculty may contact the Office for Institutional Equity & Diversity at (919) 513-2099 to schedule an exit interview.
Departments are responsible for the following.
- Distributing the Exit Survey to each separating employee
- Scheduling a face-to-face interview for interested departing employees
- SPA, EPA Non-Faculty, and Post-Docs: contact Employee Relations at (919) 515-6575
- Faculty: contact the Office for Equal Opportunity at (919) 513-2099
- Collecting data at the departmental level upon separation. This information can be obtained by distributing a departmental exit survey and/or conducting a departmental exit interview.
- Ensuring collection of university assets from the employee and the completion of the Separation Clearance Checklist. Retain this checklist at the departmental level.
Where Is the Survey?
All employees leaving NC State can fill out the Exit Survey by:
- Completing the online survey with the password: wolfpack
- Completing an electronic pdf, save the document, and email the attachment to email@example.com
- Completing a hard copy of the Exit Survey and mail this to NCSU Employee Relations, Campux Box 7210 Raleigh NC 27527
What Happens to the Information Presented in the Survey or During the Interview?
If the information received suggests a violation of university policy or similar critical concern, Employee Relations or the Office for Equal Opportunity will immediately follow up with the appropriate department.
In the months following the employee’s separation, a copy of the completed Exit Survey is distributed to the appropriate Vice Chancellor or Dean (or designee) who may forward this information to department head and/or supervisor as appropriate.
Employee Relations and the Office for Equal Opportunity produce an annual report of exit information and forward the report to university administrators.