- What is the Performance Leadership Program?
- What past attendees are saying...
- Who should attend?
- What are the Required Courses for Certification?
- What does the Program Cost
The Performance Leadership Program focuses on the leadership and management core competencies that are important to the success of individuals in a supervisory or management role. Participants in this program learn how to transform their team into a strong, productive unit that pulls together to exceed goals and go the extra mile. High performing teams don't happen by accident. They are created, led and motivated by leaders with exceptional team-building skills.
Using a highly interactive approach, participants learn to master key management and leadership techniques through hands on practice sessions, small group activities, role-playing and structured team exercises. Participants will review and apply tools for improving cooperation, strengthening teamwork, opening lines of communication and managing change in their team/organization. They'll practice dealing effectively with team conflicts, and learn steps for coaching team members to achieve high performance. Participants will then develop a plan for how to best apply their key learning by using 360° survey feedback and structured one-on-one coaching sessions designed to assist each participant with the application of the leadership techniques and management concepts to enhance both their individual and their team's performance.
Core competency areas of the program include:
- Developing Teams – ability to establish clear; shared goals for team; develop a sense of commitment; and work to resolve interpersonal issues
- Communication - clearly conveying a message and listening for understanding
- Hiring The Right People - developing a systematic approach to interview and evaluate candidates, and making good hiring decisions based on the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for a particular job
- Giving and Receiving Feedback - giving constructive and timely feedback on performance
- Coaching - enabling self-sufficiency in employees to make decisions and take action
- Leading - determining employees' competence and commitment to perform specific tasks and matching the correct leadership style to the situation
- Negotiation - developing an agreement that satisfies both parties interests to the greatest extent possible.
- Ethics - making decisions that reflect individual and organizational responsibility in regards to products, services and relationships with stakeholders.
- Leading Change in Organizations – developing a plan for leading and sustaining a commitment to organizational change
What past participants are saying about the program:
"The results proved amazing for my department and for me. Now, that I took the time to participate in PL, it seems like a "no-brainer" that as the workforce changes, the University changes, and the world changes it will always be critical to make sure that you as a leader are keeping pace and changing your leadership strategies to best accommodate the needs of your workgroup/department and those of the University. If you value the quality of the service you provide in your role at NC State, PL is a great way to demonstrate your commitment to your staff, colleagues, and the University. You'll be glad you did it."
"Performance Leadership has enhanced my leadership and management ability, not just by teaching skills and strategies, but more importantly by providing the opportunity and impetus to reflect deeply on myself and how I manage and lead others. Getting caught up in day to day tasks, I don't usually take this time to reflect, yet it is in the reflection, not the action that learning occurs."
"The content of each course is relevant and applicable to your job, but what is most valuable is the built-in network on campus that you develop from going through the program with a similar group of people."
"The experience of being part of a group of supervisors and managers, in an environment that allows candid and relevant conversations has boosted my confidence level greatly. The course material is a great addition for a managers' tool belt and TOD ‘coaches’ put together sessions that make it worth coming back for each time."
$425 per N.C. State University Faculty and Staff
The Performance Leadership Development Program is a semester long leadership development program that meets on Wednesdays from 9 AM – 4:30 PM on a bi-weekly basis. Please review the Performance Leadership Schedule Fall 2014 for a complete list of session dates and times.
Registration for Required Courses
To request enrollment for Performance Leadership, please access the MyPACK Portal, and menu path: Employee Self-Service > Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment > then use course number 'HRPL00' for Performance Leadership Orientation, click the 'Available Sessions' link. Select the orientation session date listed and submit the request.
Once enrolled in and confirmed for the program, each participant will be automatically registered for all of the required courses and a notification containing a list of dates, times and locations for all sessions will be sent to each participant.