Pacific Northwest Adventureland
Join Todd Lasseigne on a reprise trip visiting the fabulous nurseries and gardens of the Pacific Northwest U.S. and British Columbia, Canada. With an unlimited palette of plants available, this trip should allow even the most avid of plantsmen, nursery and landscape professionals, and gardeners to purchase plants and stock their nurseries and gardens with many newly introduced gems. For folks in the nursery and landscape industries, this trip represents an opportunity not only to visit cutting-edge nurseries, gardens, and new plants, but also to make contacts with nursery owners and other people involved in new plant introductions -- the life-blood of our industry. In the grand tradition of JC Raulston, we invite you to join in on the opportunity to expand your personal (and business) horizons as well as to see nurseries and gardens of all sizes, and to meet the folks involved in making these places great. Don't expect a slow-paced or leisurely, "touristy" trip, as this trip promises to be one filled with non-stop action, fun, and of course, plants!
Building on a plant procurement trip taken by Todd in August, 2000 to the Pacific Northwest, this year we will be visiting a vast range of gardens and nurseries from Vancouver, British Columbia in the north, heading south to see Siskyou Rare Plant Nursery and Forestfarm Nursery in southern Oregon all the way near the California border. All of these places are worthy of pilgrimages alone. From small specialty nurseries, such as Heronswood Nursery and Gossler Farms Nursery; to large-scale nurseries that service the entire U.S., such as J. Frank Schmidt and Son Co. and Iseli Nursery; to world-famous botanical gardens and arboreta such as Washington Park Arboretum and the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden, there is something for everyone in this trip.
Dates: July 13-23, 2002 – Tour limited to 40 participants.
Cost: $2,199.00 per person, double occupancy (includes airfare from Raleigh, North Carolina, and all other costs except meals and other items purchased by participants).
The places that we will visit include the following:
- University of British Columbia Botanical Garden, Vancouver, British Columbia
- VanDusen Botanical Garden, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Bellevue Botanical Garden, Bellevue, Washington
- South Seattle Community College Arboretum, Washington
- Carl S. English, Jr. Botanical Garden, Seattle, Washington
- Wells-Medina Nursery, Medina, Washington
- Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, Washington
- The Japanese Garden of Seattle, Seattle, Washington
- Heronswood Nursery, Kingston, WA
- Coenosium Gardens, Eatonville, WA
- Collector's Nursery, Battle Ground, Washington
- Joy Creek Nursery, Scappoose, Oregon
- Portland Classical Chinese Garden, Portland, Oregon
- Iseli Nursery, Boring, Oregon
- J. Frank Schmidt and Son Co., Boring, Oregon
- Stanley and Sons Nursery, Inc., Boring, Oregon
- Greer Gardens, Eugene, Oregon
- Gossler Farms Nursery, Springfield, Oregon
- The Oregon Garden, Silverton, Oregon
- Forestfarm, Williams, Oregon
For information or to make reservations, call Judi Grainger of Custom Travel at (919) 872-4420, Oregon contact Todd Lasseigne for further details.
Based on the success of this trip, we will be offering others in the future. This is your chance to get in on the ground floor of a reinstated, and new and exciting, part of the JC Raulston Arboretum.