Friends of the Arboretum Annual Plant Distribution
The epic event of public horticulture where thousands of choice and rare plants disappear in five minutes after the whistle blows.
Bring containers or carts to carry all your new plants.
Please bring your membership card. If you can't find it, we can check you in that morning using our membership roster. Family memberships and above are entitled to two membership cards. Check in begins at 7:30 AM. Please arrive before 9:00 AM (preferably before 8:45 AM) to allow enough time to check-in.
If your membership has lapsed or you want to join for the first time, we will be selling memberships starting at 7:30 AM. The give away begins at 9:00 AM sharp. Please do not be late! In previous years, all plants have been given away in a matter of minutes. New members who sign up that morning are eligible for the plant give away.
Please contact Faye Koonce at (919) 515-3132 or email@example.com if you need directions or information about this event or any of our other programs.
- What plants are being
- Answer - Thousands of plants are being given away. Take a look at the list to see the plants we are giving away for yourself. Please remember that only the plants that are being given away in large numbers make this list. Many more do not make the list and will be a surprise on Saturday.
- Are description of the
- Many descriptions are available, but we are not quite done yet. The descriptions are available by clicking on the links (the red and underlined plant names are the links) in the list of available plants.
- What time are the plants
being given away?
- Answer - 9:00 AM (All plants are given away in a matter of minutes, do not be late.)
- When does check-in begin?
- Answer - Check-in begin at 7:30 AM. Please arrive early enough to check-in, preferably before 8:45 AM.
- Will I need something
to carry my plants in?
- Answer - Yes, we recommend that you bring your own wheelbarrow, card, wagon, etc. We have a few carts that we will happily lend out, however, the wait for these carts will likely be long. And,bring something to line your trunk too.
- Who can attend this event?
- Answer - This event is for JC Raulston Arboretum members only, however, we will be happy to sign nonmembers up before the give away.
- I am coming from out
of town, is it worth the drive?
- Answer - We think so, however, the answer is an opinion that only you can determine.
- Can I see the plants ahead
- Answer - Yes and no. The actual plants being given away cannot be seen ahead of time, however, you can look at the plants they were propagated from in the Arboretum. You can search the online Current Plantings database to determine the location of the plants in the Arboretum.
- Is there a rain date?
- Answer - No, we are holding this event rain or shine.
- When is the Annual Plant
Distribution in 2004?
- Answer - The date is not scheduled yet, however, it will probably be the first Saturday in October.
The line forms early. These people were in line before 7:30 AM at the 2002 plant give away.
not forget to bring your membership card with you.