Juried Print Competition
August 28, 2011 (Sunday) – 2:00 PM–5:00 PM
August 29–September 30, 2011 (Monday–Friday) – 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Calling all photographers! Do you have an eye for beauty? Would you like to share your work with other people who would appreciate it? If so, the Juried Print Competition is for you. Adults and youth can submit original photographic prints made from images taken at JC Raulston Arboretum during the last two years. Distinguished judges will determine the winning images and cash awards will be presented. The winning prints along with the judges' favorites will be displayed at the Arboretum during the month of September for the public to see. Don't delay! Start capturing your favorite images at JC Raulston Arboretum today. Maybe yours will become "Best in Show."
This competition is open to all levels of photography experience and to photographic prints only. There will be four prizes for adult entries: Best in Show will win $200, 1st place will win $100, 2nd place will win $75, and 3rd place will win $50. There will be a Best in Show for the youth category (age 16 and under) with the winning prize being $50.
Susan Bailey is an award-winning photographer specializing in garden and flower photography. She is a graduate of the New York Institute of Photography. Her business is Sunrise Designs. Susan has judged many competitions and recently earned the Photographic Society of America Judging Certification.
Dave Froelich is an accomplished, award-winning landscape photographer residing in Raleigh, North Carolina. Although primarily self-taught, Dave has also been instructed by some notable photographers such as George Lepp and Tony Sweet. Dave has judged photo competitions and enjoys teaching others.
Jennifer Weinberg is a graduate of Brooks Institute of Photography, a past recipient of the NANPA Russ Kinne Award, and has worked with noted nature photographers Art Wolfe and Robert Glenn Ketchum. She is passionate about nature photography and her work is published, collected and exhibited internationally.
Tim Alderton is a member of the staff at JC Raulston Arboretum and will be responsible for verifying whether an image has been taken at JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Images must have been taken at the JC Raulston Arboretum no earlier than January 2009.
- Competition open to photography prints only and open to all levels of photography.
- Entry cannot have been published prior to contest.
- Two categories: Adult and Youth (age 16 and under).
- Entrants must have captured and created the image. If Youth, no assistance from an adult.
- Entrant's name shall not appear anywhere on the face of the image entry.
- Pre-registration requested. $20 for adults, $10 for youths. $5 additional fee if not pre-registered.
- Each entrant is limited to submitting a total of only two photographs.
- All work must be properly wired for hanging; matted with a white mat (11" × 14" prints do not need to be matted); and framed in a simple, black, metal or wood, 11" × 14" frame. (Image size may not exceed 11" × 14"; however, image may be smaller. For example, an 8" × 10" image matted to 11" × 14".)
- No clip frames or canvas wraps will be accepted. Framed images to be hand delivered.
- Decisions of judges are final. Winners will need to submit digital images to the JC Raulston Arboretum and will be used by the JC Raulston Arboretum for future promotional purposes.
- Post processing and image manipulation accepted; however, image must be visibly distinguishable (close-up and macro photography is allowed) that it was taken at JC Raulston Arboretum.
- People may be included in the image; however, they may not be the main subject.
Best in Show – $200
1st Place – $100
2nd Place – $75
3rd Place – $50
Best in Show – $50
For more information, please contact Chris Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 513-7005.
For additional details or to register your prints, please use the registration form.
Cost: $25 for adults, $15 for youths. Each entrant may submit a limit of two entries per entry fee. $5 additional fee (already included) if not pre-registered by July 31.
Registration: Pre-registration requested. Please use the registration form in the brochure to register. $5 additional fee if not pre-registered by July 31.
Location: Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Directions: Need directions? Click here.
Parking: Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
Questions: Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this print competition.