Juried Print Competition
Entries AcceptedAugust 23, 2012 (Thursday) – 11:00 AM–8:00 PMOpening ReceptionAugust 25, 2012 (Saturday) – 2:00 PM–5:00 PMExhibitAugust 27–October 5, 2012 (Monday–Friday) – 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Calling all photographers! Do you have an eye for beauty? Would you like to share your work with other people who would appreciate it? If so, the Juried Print Competition is for you. Adults and youth can submit original photographic prints of garden or plant related subjects. Distinguished judges will determine the winning images and cash awards will be presented. The winning prints along with the judges' favorites will be displayed at the Arboretum during the month of September for the public to see. Don't delay! Start capturing your favorite images today. Maybe yours will become "Best in Show."
This competition is open to all levels of photography experience and to photographic prints only. There will be four prizes for adult entries: Best in Show will win $200, 1st place will win $100, 2nd place will win $75, and 3rd place will win $50. There will be a Best in Show for the youth category (age 16 and under) with the winning prize being $50.
Susan Bailey is an award-winning photographer specializing in garden and flower photography. She is a graduate of the New York Institute of Photography. Her business is Sunrise Designs. Susan has judged many competitions and recently earned the Photographic Society of America Judging Certification.
Dave Froelich is an accomplished, award-winning landscape photographer residing in Raleigh, North Carolina. Although primarily self-taught, Dave has also been instructed by some notable photographers such as George Lepp and Tony Sweet. Dave has judged photo competitions and enjoys teaching others.
Mary Doherty is an award-winning photographer specializing in creative fine art photography. Her work has been selected for local, regional, and national juried photography exhibits and she has been published in The Insiders' Guides and WNC Magazine. Mary is a member of the Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, and is a member and has received certification through the Photographic Society of America for Image Analysis.
- Images can be taken anywhere, but they must be garden or plant related.
- Competition open to photography prints only and open to all levels of photography.
- Entry cannot have been published prior to contest.
- Two categories: Adult and Youth (16 and under).
- Entrants must have captured and created the image. If Youth, no assistance from an adult. Entrant's name shall not appear anywhere on the face of the image entry.Each entrant is limited to submitting a total of only two photographs.
- All work must be properly wired for hanging; matted with a white mat (11" × 14" prints do not need to be matted); and framed in a simple, black, 11" × 14" frame. (Image size may not exceed 11" × 14"; however, image may be smaller. For example, an 8" × 10" image matted to 11" × 14".)
- No clip frames or canvas wraps will be accepted.
- Framed images to be hand delivered.
- Decisions of judges are final.
- Winners will need to submit digital images to the JC Raulston Arboretum and will be used by the JCRA for future promotional purposes.
- Post processing and image manipulation accepted.
- Photographs not picked up by October 12 become the property of the JC Raulston Arboretum.
Best in Show – $200
1st Place – $100
2nd Place – $75
3rd Place – $50
Best in Show – $50
For more information, please contact Chris Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 513-7005.
For additional details or to register your prints, please use the brochure.
Your registration fee supports the JC Raulston Arboretum's general fund within the NC Agricultural Foundation, Inc (Tax ID 56-6049304).
Please be advised that credit card transactions will appear on your credit card statements as CALS EVENTS AND MERCHANDISE (may be truncated). NC Agricultural Foundation's tax identification number is 56-6049304.
Online registration is available via NC State Alumni Association's Web site. Use the online registration if paying with a credit card.
Cost: $25 for adults, $15 for youths. Each entrant may submit a limit of two entries. $5 additional fee (already added) if not pre-registered by July 31.
Registration: Pre-registration requested. Online registration is available via NC State Alumni Association's Web site. If you'd rather pay using cash or a check, please use the information brochure's registration form. $5 additional fee if not pre-registered by July 31.
Location: Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Directions: Need directions? Click here.
Parking: Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
Questions: Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this print competition.