1993 Friends of the NCSU Arboretum Annual Plant Distribution
October 16, 1993
Dr. J. C. Raulston, The NCSU Arboretum, Box 7609, NCSU, Raleigh, NC 27695-7609
Each year The NCSU Arboretum distributes excess plants from the year's research and nursery industry distribution programs to Friends of the NCSU Arboretum members to clear out the growing areas and minimize overwintering needs. This year we have an estimated 4,000 plants of the 73+ taxa below to give away - many of which are extremely rare and not in commercial nursery markets. Quantities of the following plants listed will vary from 5 to 100 plants - so there will not be enough plants for all members present to each receive all the different plants.
We will follow the distribution pattern used in 1992 with great success to ensure all people have equal chance to freely access the plants. The plants are scattered down two ribboned-off areas (both identical in contents and quantities of plants) in the west arboretum to hopefully spread out people for less intense contact. Also - dual rows in different numbering sequences will be placed out in both areas so participants will be closer to a larger number of different kinds of plants (this is all getting just too complicated!!). What it means is that each plant below is repeated in four different locations. At 9:10 AM a signal will be given and members can cross the ribbons to select plants.
Our most important rule - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN ONE PLANT OF ANY GIVEN ITEM UNLESS SOME REMAIN AFTER EVERYONE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO TAKE ONE. Good luck in hunting the items you would like.
To save our efforts in labeling the massive numbers of plants - they are identified by stakes in the pots or bags coded to the numbers listed below. Please keep this sheet to use for identification when you get home and for the future. We sincerely thank the many volunteers who worked so hard to prepare the plants for this distribution - without their efforts it certainly would not be possible.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ARBORETUM OFFICE ASKING FOR INFORMATION ON HOW TO HANDLE OR CARE FOR THE PLANTS WHEN YOU GET HOME. WE JUST DO NOT HAVE THE STAFF OR TIME TO HANDLE SUCH REQUESTS ON TOP OF ALL OUR OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES. SOME BASIC INFORMATION IS GIVEN BELOW TO HELP YOU IN DECISIONS ON WHERE AND HOW TO PLANT.
01. Abutilon sp. 'Hardy Orange' - hardy herbaceous perennial with orange flowers; Z6-9; sun or light shade. 02. Acer buergerianum - Japan; deciduous small tree; Z4-8; sun or partial shade.
03. Acer rubrum - Eastern US; deciduous tree; several named cultivars available; Z4-9; Sun.
04. Acer saccharum 'Caddo' - deciduous tree from Caddo Mts., OK - more stress tolerant; Z4-8; sun.
05. Aesculus pavia 'Splendens' - SEUS; red flowered deciduous tree; Z5-9; sun or partial shade.
06. Agave scabra - Mexico; evergreen plant; Z7-9; sun, drainage.
07. Agave sp. - Mexico; round purple plants; Z7-9; sun, drainage.
08. Aster carolinianus - NC native deciduous vine with autumn purple flowers; Z6-9; sun or partial shade.
09. Aristolochia clematitis - Mexico; herbaceous vining perennial; Z7-9?; sun or partial shade.
10. Bignonia capreolata 'Tangerine Beauty' - evergreen vine; tangerine-red flowers; Z5-9; Sun/partial shade.
11. Bushofia polycarpa - China; deciduous tree; Z6-9; sun.
12. Callicarpa shikokiana - Japan deciduous shrub with purple fruit in autumn; Z7-9; Sun to partial shade.
13. Camellia X (oleifera X sasanqua) -NCSU Arb. introduction to be named; pink flowers; evergreen shrub; Z6-9 14. Cercis chinensis 'Alba' - deciduous white flowering tree from China; Z5-9; sun.
15. Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Compacta Variegata' - China; variegated conifer shrub; Z4-8; sun or part shade.
16. Clethra barbinervis - Japan decid. small tree;white flowers; great bark; Z6-9; Sun/partial shade.
17. Cornus kousa 'Little Beauty' - NCSU Arb introduction; dwarf flowering dogwood; Z5-9; sun/partial shade.
18. Cornus mas 'Spring Beauty' - NCSU Arb introduction; best flowering in south; excellent foliage; Z4-8; sun.
19. Cotoneaster microphyllus 'Strieb's Findling' - decid. shrub groundcover with red fruit, drainage; sun; Z5-9. 20. Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans Aurea' - Japan; conifer tree; winter foliage lime colored; Z6-9; sun.
21. Cytisus ratisbonensis - deciduous shrub with yellow flowers; Z6-8; sun; good drainage.
22. Daphne odora 'Variegata' - China; evergreen shrub with pink flowers; Z6-9; sun or part shade; drainage.
23. Deutzia gracilis 'Variegata' - China; deciduous shrub with variegated foliage and white flowers; Z3-8; sun.
24. Eryngium umbelliferum - Mexico; herbaceous perennial with cutleaf foliage; Z6-9?; Sun/partial shade.
25. Euonymus sieboldiana 'Issai' - Japan; deciduous shrub; Z4-8; sun.
26. Euptelea pleiospermum - China; deciduous tree; Z5-8?; Sun.
27. Euscaphis japonica - Korea deciduous tree with showy red/black fruit in late summer; Z5-9; sun.
28. Evodia huphenensis - China; deciduous tree with showy red fruit; Z5-9; sun.
29. "Ferns" - over a half-dozen different species - sun to shade, wet to dry types; herbaceous perennials.
30. Ficus tikoua - China; nothing known about it - from Index Seminum exchange.
31. Gardenia sp. 'Kleim Hardy' - Single-flowered evergreen shrub; hardiest cv.; fragrant; Z6-9; sun or shade.
32. Ilex aquifolium 'Angustifolia' - Europe; evergreen shrub with narrow leaves; Z6-9; sun or shade.
33. Ilex cornuta 'D'Or' - Asia; evergreen shrub with yellow fruit; Z6-9; Sun or partial shade.
34. Ilex crenata 'Variegata' - Japan evergreen shrub with yellow splashes on foliage; Z6-9; sun/shade.
35. Ilex X 'Ginny Brunner' - Evergreen shrub hybrid with red fruit; Z5-9; sun or partial shade.
36. Iris halophylla - herbaceous perennial; Z6-9; sun.
37. Iris - mixed species and hybrids dug from arboretum when labels disappeared; great for naturalizing.
38. Juniperus horizontalis - misc. cvs. - Conifer groundcover; Z3-9; sun.
39. Juniperus horizontalis 'Variegata' - Variegated conifer groundcover; Z3-9; sun.
40. Lagerstroemia indica 'Christiana' - deciduous flowering shrub; red flowers; Z7-9; sun.
41. Larix leptolepis (kaempferi) - Japan; deciduous conifer; Z3-7; sun; needs excellent drainage!
42. Ligustrum japonicum (Big-Leaf Hardy) - broadleaved evergreen shrub - hardy selection; sun or light shade.
43. Ligustrum japonicum (Little-Leaf Hardy) - broadleaved evergreen shrub - hardy selection; sun/light shade.
44. Lindera strychnifolia - evergreen shrub with yellow spring flowers from China; Z6-9; sun or part shade.
45. Lysimachia lichiangensis - China; herbaceous perennial; Z6-9; sun.
46. Narcissus cvs. - spring flowering bulbs - many cultivars and types mixed for naturalizing mix; Z3-9; sun
47. Nectandra salicifolia - Mexico; broadleaved evergreen shrub; hardiness unknown; needs drainage, sun.
48. Phlomis cashmeriana - grey foliaged herbaceous perennial with pink flowers; Z7-9?; Sun with drainage. 49. Photinia villosa 'Village Shade' - NCSU Arb introduction; white flowers; great foliage; red fruit; Z5-9; sun.
50. Pinus ayacahuite var. brachyptera - Mexico; blue-foliaged pine tree; Z6-9; sun, drainage.
51. Pinus brutia - Eastern Europe; conifer tree; Z 5-8; sun. (CP; 60 - save 3).
52. Pinus canariensis - Canary Islands; blue-grey foliage conifer tree; Z8-9; sun; good drainage
53. Poliothyrsis sinensis - China; decid. flowering tree with white fragrant flowers; Z6-9; sun/partial shade.
54. Pollia japonica - Japan; herbaceous perennial with white flowers in autumn; Z6-9; shade or sun.
55. Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis' - Japan; deciduous flowering tree; autumn to spring flowers; sun; Z5-9.
56. Prunus X 'Ukon' - showy greenish-yellow flowering tree from Japan; Z5-8; sun.
57. Pseudolarix amabilis - China; deciduous conifer with showy yellow autumn foliage; Z4-9; Sun.
58. Pseudotsuga menziesii - Pacific Northwest; conifer tree; Z5-8; sun; good drainage.
59. Rhamnus yoshino - Japan; deciduous flowering shrub/tree; Unk. hardiness; sun/partial shade
60. Rhodophiala bifida - Argentina; herbaceous bulb with red flowers in October; Z7-9; sun or shade.
61. Rosa X 'Carefree Beauty' - deciduous flowering shrub hybrid; disease free and free blooming; Z5-9; sun. 62. Rosa X (from W30) - hybrid rose with lost name; Z6-9; sun.
63. Smilax walterii - evergreen vine; Z6-9; sun or shade.
64. Sophora affinis - Texas; decid. flowering tree; compound foliage; white-pink fragrant flowers; Z7-9, sun.
65. Styrax japonicum 'Crystal' - NCSU Arb introduction; deciduous flowering tree; white flowers; Z5-9; sun. 66. Styrax officinalis ssp. fulvescens - Calif.; deciduous flowering tree; white flowers; Z6-9; sun & drainage.
67. Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Burnished Gold' - Japan; evergreen shrub; golden foliage; Z7-9; sun to shade.
68. Thalictrum uchiyamia - China; herbaceous perennial; Z5-8?; sun or partial shade.
69. Thermopsis lupinoides - Japan; yellow flowered herbaceous perennial; Z5-8?; sun or light shade.
70. Tulbaghia violaceae (Society Garlic) - herbaceous bulb with violet flowers; Z6-9; sun or partial shade.
71. Yucca rostrata - southwest; evergreen shrub; Z6-9; sun & drainage.
72. Zephyranthes candida - white flowering bulb; Z6-9; sun or shade; moist or dry.
73. Mexican Turk's Cap - Pink flowering selection (Malvaceae) - herbaceous perennial; takes wet soils; sun.
PLUS - assorted odds and ends in quantities added after the above list was completed, or not warrenting listing above, or unnamed treasures which have lost labels but may be exceptional plants if grown out and later identified (BUT NOT BY US!!).