This magnificent oak specimen stands guard at what was the original entrance to the Arboretum. Now over 50' tall, it was the first tree planted by J. C. Raulston after he started the Arboretum.
Unlike many fastigiate (upright) tree selections, this form of English oak was found growing wild in a forest in Germany and was propagated by grafting in 1783. Most acorns from this tree will form columnar trees. Dark green leaves in spring and summer eventually turn brown in autumn and remain on the tree for several months before dropping. The large size and distinct shape make this a perfect choice as a garden focal point or narrow screen.
Sign Sponsored by the Stanley Smith Horticultural Trust