JC Raulston Arboretum
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7522
Important Contact Information
|General Information||Faye Koonce||(919) 515-3132
|Fax Number||(919) 515-5361|
4415 Beryl Road
Raleigh, NC 27606-1446
The JCRA is located in west Raleigh near the NC State Fairgrounds, two miles west of the NC State University main campus. It is directly across the street from Capitol City Lumber Company.
For more detailed directions to the JC Raulston Arboretum, please click here.
April–October (Daylight Saving Time months)
8:00 AM–8:00 PM
November–March (Eastern Standard Time months)
8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Bobby G. Wilder Visitor Center*
Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Saturday – 10:00 AM–2:00 PM
Sunday – 1:00 PM–4:00 PM
Ruby C. McSwain Education Center*
Monday-Friday - 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
*Closed on state holidays.
The JCRA grounds are open every day of the year. However, the Arboretum will be closed to the public on the first Sunday in May so we may hold our annual Gala in the Garden. For information about our Gala, please visit our Calendar of Events.
There is no admission charge.
Parking is free and is available in the Arboretum's paved lot and along Beryl Road. Please observe the no parking signs on Beryl Road.
Tours are available to the public free of charge every Sunday at 2:00 PM from March–October.
Certain areas of the JCRA are available for wedding rentals, and must be reserved in advance. For more information, please view the online wedding information on this Web site or contact us at (919) 515-3132.
- Please respect the gardens. This is a teaching and research facility. Do not pick or remove anything from the Arboretum and please stay on the paths.
- Pets are not allowed, except service animals.
- Please supervise your children at all times for their safety and for the welfare of our plants. Watch children especially closely near all water features.
- Please use the trash receptacles and blue recycling bins.
- Bicycling, skating, skateboarding, and roller-blading are not allowed.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings and within 25 feet of all buildings.
- Please do not throw cigarette butts on the Arboretum grounds.
- Photographers are welcome, but please do not move benches or labels, stage children in trees or plantings, or block pathways with equipment. See additional guidelines below.
- Certified nursery and landscape professionals are permitted to collect propagules from the Arboretum with prior permission from a staff member.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Photographers are welcome at the JC Raulston Arboretum. We are pleased that you appreciate the beauty found in this tranquil garden setting. In order for this service to remain free and available to everyone, we ask that all photographers kindly comply with the following guidelines:
- Please respect the gardens, plants, and other visitors at all times. The JCRA is a research garden, not a park. Do not pick or remove anything.
- Please remain on the designated paths, and not on the mulched plant beds. These areas protect small plants and the roots of others.
- Please do not stage a photograph in the plantings or trees, block pathways with photography equipment, or move the benches or labels. (A fee will be assessed should any damage occur.)
- Please do not block or use an entire garden for a photography session. (Rental fees apply when an entire garden is used.)
- Do not set up on the gravel area in the Japanese Garden. (A fee will be charged should this area be disturbed.)
- Supervise all children for their safety and the welfare of our plants. Please pay particular supervisory care when photographing near any water features.
- Pets are not allowed, except for service dogs.
Map of the JC Raulston Arboretum
Be sure to pick up a Visitors Guide in the Visitors Entrance pavilion to help guide yourself throughout the Arboretum's gardens and collections. An online Visitors Guide (PDF file or HTML) and an interactive Arboretum map are also available.
It's Your Garden!