Scroll below for building history
Location: South Campus
Built 1976; McKimmon Addition, 1983
Sq. Footage 132,770
The McKimmon Center is named in honor of Dr. Jane S. McKimmon (1867-1957), in recognition of her outstanding contribution to Continuing Education.
As the first NC State Home Demonstration Agent, Dr. McKimmon reached out to farm wives and mothers, who recognized the need to learn new skills and ideas. She developed short courses for extension agents and helped form the State Home Economics Association. Eventually, Home Demonstration Clubs were founded in every county of the State. As the clubs grew, the need for a place to provide continual learning became apparent.
After Dr. McKimmon retired in 1946, club members carried on her dream for a Continuing Education facility. In 1966, close to 40,000 members of the Extension Homemaker Club presented $100,000 in “butter and egg money” to NC State University to initiate funding for the Jane S. McKimmon Extension Education Center.
Today, the Jane S. McKimmon Center is home to the McKimmon Center for Extension & Continuing Education, formerly known as the Division of Continuing Studies.
McKimmon Floor plan