The police employment procedure is a multi-step process, where each applicant must pass one step before progressing to the next. An applicant can be disqualified from further consideration for unsatisfactory performance at any time during this procedure.
To see a list of positions currently available, visit the NC State Human Recourses Staff Vacancies website.
Campus Police Department Recruitment Brochure
The employment steps are as follows:
1. Applicant completes an Application packet provided by the NCSU Human Resources Department and sends it in to them.
2. Human Resources screens each application to ensure its completion, then submits approved applications to the department.
3. The department reviews and conducts a preliminary records check on each application. Candidates are considered for interviews and notified via telephone where a time and date is set.
4. There are then two interview boards. The initial interview is conducted by members of the department patrol division and the hiring coordinator. Successful applicants will then be again notified via phone to complete a second interview which is conducted by members of the department command staff and the hiring coordinator.
5. Candidates selected for employment will then begin a final testing phase consisting of:
- A Complete Background Investigation, including a polygraph examination
- A Conditional Offer of Employment
- A Psychological Evaluation
- A Physical Evaluation and Drug Screening
- A Formal Offer of Employment