Breadcrumb Navigation:Home > Certificate Programs > Undergraduate Certificates > Agricultural Business Management (PBS)
Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management (PBS)
The University Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management is available to all Non-Degree Studies students enrolled at North Carolina State University who have already received a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree. This certificate is not available to undergraduate majors enrolled in a degree program who have the option of either receiving a minor or major degree in Agricultural Business Management. This certificate provides individuals an opportunity to learn basic business and economic principles that are useful in careers in agricultural and related industries.
Theodore A. Feitshans
North Carolina State University
Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Campus Box 8109
Raleigh, NC 27605
(What will I learn?) (Requirements, total credits required, other course/curricula info)
Prerequisite Course :
ARE 201 – Introduction to Agricultural and Resource Economics: Students who have not completed, with a C- or higher, ARE 201 (Principles of Economics Course) or an equivalent principle of economics course at an accredited institution must take ARE 201 and receive a C- or higher prior to acceptance into this program. This course does not count towards the required 15 credit hours.
Required Courses (15 hours)
- ARE 303 – Farm Business Management (3) – or – ARE 304 – Agribusiness Management (3)
- ARE 332 – Human Resource Management for Agribusiness (3) – or – ARE 215- Small Business Accounting (3)
- ARE 312 – Agribusiness Marketing (3) – or – ARE 311 – Agricultural Markets (3)
- ARE 306 – Agricultural Law (3) – or – ARE 309 – Environmental Law and Economic Policy (3)
- Any course from above that has not been taken – or – ARE 495 – Special Topics in Agricultural and Resource Economics (3).
Completion Requirements :
The following are the requirements that must be met to receive a University Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management:
- Completion of 15 credit hours from the list of required courses with a grade of C- or higher received for each course and an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved upon completion of all required courses.
- Four (4) years will be allowed for completion of all courses. The time limit starts with enrollment in the first course. Students will be allowed to defer no more than two semesters after acceptance into the program. Courses may be completed in any order.
- All courses must be 601 sections taken through distance education unless special approval is granted for completion of an on-campus section to allow the student to successfully complete the course sequence for receipt of a Post Baccalaureate ABM Certificate.
- None of the required 15 credit hours may be taken for S/U or “credit only.”
- No transfer credits from other institutions to fulfill certificate course requirements are allowed. Credit for a completed economics principles course, in place of ARE 201, may be accepted for the purpose of enrolling in the program.
- Students currently enrolled in the Agricultural Business Management major or who would qualify for the ABM minor do not qualify for this program.
Estimated Total Credit Hours Required: 15
(Is this the program for me? How do I apply?)
- Student must have received a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree from an accredited institution;
- Must have completed, with a C- or higher, ARE 201 (principles of economics course) or an equivalent principles of economics course at an accredited institution, prior to program acceptance;
- Not enrolled in a 4-year undergraduate degree program at N.C. State University; and
- Acceptance as a Non-Degree Studies Student through DELTA, if not already enrolled.
Plan of study
(How much time will it take?)
Contact the Program Coordinator.
(When can I start?)
Contact the Program Coordinator.