Office of International Services

Change in Curriculum

During the course of their study, many students will decide to change their major or curriculum, add a co-major, or change their level of study (Masters to PhD or PhD to Masters). Undergraduate students may decide to go on to a graduate degree after completing the bachelors or after engaging in post-completion optional practical training. Changes in major and level require updating in SEVIS and must be completed concurrently with (or before) the change in University records. A new Form I-20 (DS-2019 for J-1 students) must be issued to reflect the new major and new program end date.

Please note: Students who change their thesis options within the same major do NOT need to submit change in curriculum paperwork. This does not constitute a change in curriculum for SEVIS purposes and as such, a student's I-20/DS-2019 will not be updated. However, if a student does change his/her thesis options and, as a result, needs additional time to complete his/her academic program, it is the student's responsibility to request a program extension. Similarly, if the change in thesis options shortens a student's program and he/she completes degree requirements earlier than the semester indicated on the I-20/DS-2019, it is the student's responsibility to learn about his/her post-completion options (e.g. Optional Practical Training, Academic Training, etc.) and to file for employment benefits in a timely manner.

Note to "en route" Masters students: The change in curriculum paperwork asks a student to indicate when he/she will complete the degree requirements of an "en route" degree and requires a signature from the DGP of the "en route" degree only. In general, it will not require submission of updated financial documentation nor the issuance of a new I-20 or DS-2019. However, it may require reporting in SEVIS, especially if a student abandons the PhD program and graduate with the Masters degree, please meet an OIS advisor PRIOR to completing the Masters degree requirements.

Instructions for Requesting an I-20/DS-2019 Reflecting a Change in Curriculum:
Students should request a new I-20 (DS-2019 for J-1 students) by completing and submitting the Change in Curriculum Form to OIS in person or via e-mail ( This process may require new financial documentation and a new estimated date of completion that is agreed upon by the student and advisor (DGP). Please attach the proof of funding to the Change in Curriculum Form. Students who do not arrange to have their SEVIS record updated to reflect a new curriculum, co-major, or minor may result in the student being out of status and possibly having to apply for re-instatement.

Policies, Regulations and Rules (PRR) on Transferring from One Curriculum or Degree Program to Another (Graduate)

PRR on Intracampus Transfer (Undergraduate change of major)