Health Insurance and Reduced Coursload (RCL) Eligibility
International students (in F and J status) are legally required to maintain adequate health insurance throughout the duration of their academic programs at NC State. Most students are granted that insurance through the UNC-systems hard waiver plan administered through Pearce and Pearce.
However, beginning in the Fall semester 2012 graduate students must maintain a minimum of three credit hours enrollment to be eligible for the Pearce and Pearce plan; this differs from previous years when one credit enrollment would suffice for graduate students. Undergraduate students are required to have six credits of enrollment for plan eligibility.
Based on the current insurance eligibility criteria, if a student requests an RCL which would result in that student losing eligibility for Pearce and Pearce insurance, that student must then show proof of "other" credible insurance through the duration of that final semester of enrollment. In order for the RCL to be approved the student must submit proof of insurance along with the RCL form to OIS. No RCLs can be approved without proof of on-going and credible insurance coverage.
That alternate insurance policy must meet these minimum requirements:
- Provides a Lifetime Maximum of $200,000 or greater
- Provides coinsurance of at least 80% for in-network services
- Provides a policy year deductible of no greater than $500
- Provides coverage for pre-existing conditions after six months of enrollment if there was no prior coverage, and covers pre-existing conditions immediately with prior creditable coverage
- Maternity covered as any other medical condition
- Provides minimum of $7,500 for repatriation of remains to the home country and a minimum of$10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.
OIS is not able to waive the legal requirement that you maintain insurance, search for or assess plans on your behalf, or take responsibility for the choice that you make regarding the health insurance option you choose. However, for your reference you provide the below resources:
Other plans for internationals include but are not limited to:
- ISO Student Health Insurance, (212) 262-8922
- Cultural Insurance Services International, (203) 399-5121
- Gateway Plans, 1-800-282-4495
- Harbour Group, 1-800-252-8160
- OMA Limited - Boston Mutual, 1-800-683-1468
- Rust and Associates, Phone: 1-877-964-7900 FAX: (515) 964-7911
- TW Lord Associates
- International Student Insurance, 1-888-247-1387
The alternate insurance plans listed above are for informational purposes only. OIS does not endorse one plan over another. It is the student's responsibility to read and understand all limitations and coverage provided by any plan the student chooses. Any questions regarding health insurance should be directed to the health insurance company not OIS.