Frequently Asked Questions

For current students:

1)How does the GEP work?

2)How does the GER work?

3)What is the difference between PY205 M and N

4)I want to change my major into a major other than engineering:

5)I want to change my major to another engineering major. What should I do?

6)When does my course registration begin?

7)Can I take required courses at another institution?

8)Can I take classes that count toward a graduate degree while I’m still an undergraduate?

9)Can you get me into a closed class?

10)Can you get me into a class for which I don’t meet the pre-requisites?

11)I didn’t get into BME, but I want to continue and try again next year. What should I do?

12)What is the difference between MAE 206, MAE 208, MAE 301, and MAE 314 for MAE- majors and non-MAE-majors?

13)How can I get into a class outside of the BME department that is restricted?

14)I am interested in applying for graduate school in the JBME department. Where can I find out more information?

15)What is a good minor to complement my biomedical engineering major?

16)How do I declare a minor?

17)I am an incoming freshman. How do I register for my first semester of classes?

18)I am an incoming transfer student. How do I register for my first semester of classes, and whom should I contact with questions about my transfer courses?

19)How can I get into a full class?

20)How can I take more courses after I complete my degree and graduate?

21)Can my BME adviser help me get into non-BME courses?

22)How do I change a course to audit before the last day to drop a course?

23)I have taken or plan to take a course at another college that I intend to transfer to meet one of my biomedical engineering curriculum requirements. How can I make sure the course will transfer? (This includes study abroad.)

24)My AP credit does not appear in my degree audit. How can I fix this?

25)I want to add/drop a course after the last day to add/drop. Can I do this?

26)How does the grade exclusion policy work?

27)How many times can I repeat the same course?

28)I am repeating a course that has a corresponding lab. Do I need to retake the lab, as well?

29)I have a hold on my account that is preventing me from registering. How can I get the hold removed?

30)I have been notified I am on academic warning and need to meet with my adviser. What should I do?

31)I have been academically suspended. Can I take classes while I am on suspension, and when can I return to school?

32)I received an email notifying me that I am on progress toward degree warning. What does this mean?

33)I plan to or have withdrawn from NCSU. Will the credits I have already earned expire, and how can I enroll if I decide to return?

34)What is the difference between a co-op and an internship, and when is the best time to apply for one?

35)Can I receive course credit for an internship or engineering-related job?

36)Is there a course that will help me prepare for the fundamental of engineering (FE) exam, and is the class required to take the exam?

37) How do I apply for scholarships, and what are my odds of receiving one?

38) I am interested in doing undergraduate research. How do I get started?

39) How can I get an official copy of my transcript?

40) How are GPAs calculated, and where can a find an online GPA calculator?

41) Can I place out of a course (credit by examination)?

42) How and when do I apply for graduation?

43) Where and when are the departmental and university graduation ceremonies?

For future students:

1)What is the deal with NCSU and UNC joint program?

2)How do I transfer to BME?

3)Can I be admitted into the rising junior class?

4)Can I visit?