Eva Johannes received her Ph. D. in 1989 at the Justus Liebig University Giessen in Germany (where as rumors go August Koehler developed the famous Koehler illumination as a student) researching the thermodynamics and kinetics of amino acid and proton transport across plant cell membranes. For this she employed mainly electrophysiological methods, inserting micro-electrodes into plant cells under microscopic control.
During her post-doc years at the University of York, UK, where she held a prestigious 5 year BBSRC Fellowship (BBSRC is the British equivalent to NSF) she analyzed the properties of calcium permeable channels in the vacuolar membrane of plant cells with the patch clamp method and elucidated the relationship between ion channels and signal transduction. During this time she started to develop a keen interest in using digital imaging of ratiometric fluorescent dyes to monitor intracellular ion activities which she pursued in Dr. Nina Allen’s lab.
Eva has been working in Dr. Nina Allen’s lab as part of the NSCORT team from 1997 -2001 measuring pH changes and plastid movement in response to gravi-stimulation. She got involved in the day to day running of CMIF in 2001 and took over directorship of the facility after Dr. Allen’s retirement in January 2008.
- Miko, I., L. Masner, E. Johannes, M. J. Yoder, A.R. Deans 2013. Male terminalia of Ceraphronoidea: diversity in an otherwise monotonous taxon. Insect systematics and Evolution, in press.
- Im, Y.J., I.Y. Perera,, I. Brglez, A.J. Davis, J. Stevenson-Paulik, B.Q. Phillippy, E. Johannes, N.S. Allen, W. F. Boss, 2007. Increasing plasma membrane phosphatidylinositol (4,5)bisphosphate biosynthesis increases phosphoinositide metabolism. The Plant Cell, 19: 1603-1616.
- Im, Y.J., A.J. Davis, I.Y. Perera, E. Johannes, N.S. Allen, W. F. Boss. 2007. The N-terminal membrane occupation and recognition nexus domain of Arabidopsis phosphatidylinositol phosphate kinase 1 regulates enzyme activity. J. Biological Chemistry. 282: 5443-5452.
- Nusz G., Johannes E., Allen N.S., Hallen H.D. 2006.Self-Assembled Monolayer Coating of Biological Probes to avoid Protein Adhesion. Nano BioTechnology 2, 61-65.
- Moyer-Henry K., Silva I., Macfall J., Johannes E., Allen N., Goldfarb B., Rufty T. 2005. Accumulation and localization of aluminum in root tips of loblolly pine seedlings and the associated ectomycorrhiza Pisolithus tinctorius. Plant Cell Environ 28, 111-120
- Busov V. B., Johannes, E., Whetten, R. W., Sederoff, R. R., Spiker, S. L., Lanz-Garcia, C. & Goldfarb, B. (2004) An auxin-inducible gene from loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) is differentially expressed in mature and juvenile phase shoots and encodes a putative transmembrane protein, Planta 218, 916-927.
- Weerasinghe, R. R., Collings, D.A., Johannes, E. & Allen, N. S. (2003) The distributional changes and role of microtubules in Nod factor challenged Medicago sativa root hairs, Planta 218, 276-287.
- Allen N.S., Chattaraj P., Collings D.A. & Johannes E. (2003) Gravisensing: ionic responses, cytoskeleton and amyloplast behavior. Advances in Space Research 32, 1631-1637.
- Johannes E., Collings D.A., Rink J.C. & Allen N.S. (2001) Cytoplasmic pH dynamics in maize pulvinal cells induced induced by gravity vector changes. Plant Physiology, 127, 119-130.
- Johannes E., Crofts A. & Sanders D. (1998) Control of Cl- efflux in Chara corallina by cytosolic pH, free Ca2+, and phosphorylation indicates a role of plasma membrane anion channels in cytosolic pH regulation. Plant Physiology, 118, 173-181.
- Moyen C., Hammond-Kosack K.E., Jones J., Knight M.R. & Johannes E. (1998) Systemin triggers an increase of cytoplasmic calcium in tomato mesophyll cells: Ca2+ mobilization from intra- and extracellular compartments. Plant Cell and Environment, 21, 1101-1111.
- Ermolayeva E., Sanders D. & Johannes E. (1997) Ionic mechanism and role of phytochrome-mediated membrane depolarisation in caulonemal side branch initial formation in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Planta, 201, 109-118.
- Gradmann D., Johannes E. & Hansen U.P. (1997) Kinetic analysis of Ca2+/K+ selectivity of an ion channel by single-binding-site models. Journal of Membrane Biology, 159, 169-178.
- Johannes E., Ermolayeva E. & Sanders D. (1997) Red light-induced membrane potential transients in the moss Physcomitrella patens: Ion channel interaction in phytochrome signalling. Journal of Experimental Botany, 48, 599-608.
- Sanders D., Allen G.J., Ermolayeva E. & Johannes E. (1997) Ion channels and calcium-based signalling in plants. European Journal of Cell Biology, 72, 52-52.
- Ermolayeva E., Hohmeyer H., Johannes E. & Sanders D. (1996) Calcium-dependent membrane depolarisation activated by phytochrome in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Planta, 199, 352-358.
- Moyen C. & Johannes E. (1996) Systemin transiently depolarizes the tomato mesophyll cell membrane and antagonizes fusicoccin-induced extracellular acidification of mesophyll tissue. Plant Cell and Environment, 19, 464-470.
- Johannes E. & Sanders D. (1995) Lumenal Calcium Modulates Unitary Conductance and Gating of a Plant Vacuolar Calcium-Release Channel. Journal of Membrane Biology, 146, 211-224.
- Johannes E. & Sanders D. (1995) The Voltage-Gated Ca2+ Release Channel in the Vacuolar Membrane of Sugar-Beet Resides in 2 Activity States. Febs Letters, 365, 1-6.
- Sanders D., Brosnan J.M., Muir S.R., Allen G., Crofts A. & Johannes E. (1994) Ion Channels and Calcium Signaling in Plants - Multiple Pathways and Cross-Talk. In: Molecular Botany: Signals and the Environment, pp. 183-197.
- Johannes E., Allen G.J. & Sanders D. (1994) Voltage-gated Ca2+ release channels in the vacuolar membranes from beet storage roots and guard cells. In: Membrane Transport in Plants and Fungi: Molecular Mechanisms and Control (eds M.R. Blatt, R.A. Leigh, & D. Sanders), pp. 113-122. The Company of Biologists, Cambridge.
- Johannes E., Brosnan J.M. & Sanders D. (1992) Calcium Channels in the Vacuolar Membrane of Plants - Multiple Pathways for Intracellular Calcium Mobilization. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences, 338, 105-112.
- Johannes E., Brosnan J.M. & Sanders D. (1992) Parallel Pathways for Intracellular Ca2+ Release from the Vacuole of Higher-Plants. Plant Journal, 2, 97-102.
- Sanders D., Davies J.M., Rea P.A., Brosnan J.M. & Johannes E. (1992) Transport of H+, K+ and Ca2+ at the vacuolar membrane of plants. In: Plant organelles, compartmentation of metabolism in photosynthetic cells (ed A.K. Tobin), pp. 169-188. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Sanders D., Miller A.J., Blackford S., Brosnan J.M. & Johannes E. (1992) Cytosolic free calcium homeostasis in plants. Current Topics in Plant Biochemistry and Physiology, 9, 20-37.
- Johannes E., Brosnan J.M. & Sanders D. (1991) Calcium Channels and Signal Transduction in Plant-Cells. Bioessays, 13, 331-336.
- Felle H. & Johannes E. (1990) The Regulation of Proton Amino-Acid Symport in Riccia-Fluitans L by Cytosolic pH and Proton Pump Activity. Journal of Experimental Botany, 41, 587-592.
- Johannes E. & Felle H. (1990) Proton Gradient across the Tonoplast of Riccia-Fluitans as a Result of the Joint Action of 2 Electroenzymes. Plant Physiology, 93, 412-417.
- Sanders D., Johannes E. & Hedrich R. (1990) Opening Plant Calcium Channels. Nature, 344, 593-594.
- Johannes E. & Felle H.H. (1989) The Role of Mg2+ in Proton Transport by the Tonoplast Pyrophosphatase in Riccia-Fluitans Vacuoles. Physiologia Plantarum, 77, 326-331.
- Felle H. & Johannes E. (1990) Interaction of cytoplasmic pH and amino acid transport in the aquatic liverwort Riccia fluitans. In: Membrane transport in plants and fungi (eds M.J. Beilby, N.A. Walker, & J.R. Smith), pp. 398-402. University of Sydney, Sydney.
- Frachisse J.M., Johannes E. & Felle H. (1988) The Use of Weak Acids as Physiological Tools - a Study of the Effects of Fatty-Acids on Intracellular pH and Electrical Plasmalemma Properties of Riccia-Fluitans Rhizoid Cells. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, 938, 199-210.
- Johannes E. & Felle H. (1987) Implications for Cytoplasmic pH, Protonmotive Force, and Amino- Acid-Transport across the Plasmalemma of Riccia-Fluitans. Planta, 172, 53-59.
- Johannes E. & Felle H. (1987) Proton-motive force and H+/amino acid antiport at the tonoplast of Riccia fluitans rhizoid cells. In: Plant vacuoles: Their importance in solute compartmentation in cells and their applications in plant biotechnology. (ed B. Marin), pp. 275-279. Plenum Press, New York and London.
- Johannes E. & Felle H. (1985) Transport of Basic Amino-Acids in Riccia-Fluitans - Evidence for a 2nd Binding-Site. Planta, 166, 244-251.