Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New fireline pack search
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

New fireline pack search
After several years of using my trusty GSA pack it is time to retire it (more like have it buried). This has caused me to begin the quest for a new pack, but after spending some time online I can find only a handful of different packs. Now I know there are as many packs out there as my wife has purses. And there are more opinions about packs than there are packs. So what I am proposing here is if you are interested in aiding my search for a new pack, please feel free to post the following:

Manufacturer: (no links, just a name)
Pack model:
Why you recommend it:
How long you have used it.

This should help us skate by one of the moderators (me) regarding commercial content.
01-27-2012 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user
Hazen Offline

RE: New fireline pack search
This is probably a bit late to be useful, but here is my two cents:

-True North
-"Spyder" Web-Gear
-It is an inexpensive pack that is carried by many distributers - so it is easy when agency requirements call for multiple quotes. The pack is small and light - all qualities that are useful in the punishing heat of a Deep South fireline. The pack is customizable enough to suit most every fire professional quirk, yet it does not have a large back panel that adds to heat stress. The weight is low slung so foot-work isn't made more complex, yet not so low that the wearer can't ride an ATV or hop into an engine.
-I don't actually use this pack myself*, but I do hand one out to all of our new employees. The oldest pack in-use on our team has 5 wild and Rx fire seasons under its belt. The wearer is still happy with it and the pack shows nothing more than some cosmetic damage/wear.

*I use a pack different than what we supply our team because my pack allows for a few particulars that no other pack (that I can afford) seems to
-First-In
-Wildfire Strike Force
-I would not recommend this pack to most who work fire in the South, as the large back panel can be hot. However, this panel easily converts to an over-the-shoulder machete carry. We fight, and light, fire in heavy 30 to 80 year rough and I find I need a machete more than I need a light pack - particularly when my other hand is occupied with a drip torch. Additionally, the detachable backpack part is very useful when I go to a fire away from my duty station. Finally, the pouch for miscellaneous gear is the largest I have seen.
-I have had this pack for nearly 9 years, and it shows. Several straps are held by staples and one of the buckles is now a carabineer. Still, it's my pack and it works for me.
04-27-2012 10:07 AM
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

RE: New fireline pack search
Hazen,

Many thanks for your input, while it was late it is still useful information and I think may be helpful to others over time.

Your friendly forum moderator,

Troll
04-27-2012 10:11 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)