Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Effects of prescribed burns in hunting
vquintanilla Offline

Effects of prescribed burns in hunting
I want to burn an area of my land in order to control underbrush, but I also go hunting on my land. How do I manage the fire in order to maintain a habitat for wildlife, mainly whitetail deer, black bear, and turkey?
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 04:41 PM by Troll.)
01-31-2013 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Effects of prescribed burns in hunting
vquintanilla,

I am not a hunter but can say this form my experience in applying fire to areas where game has been known to be present. It usually takes up to two years for the fruit bearing trees and plants to recover enough to produce in quantity to attract the game. The understory in that period has grown up some offering the smaller animals cover so thy feel safe enough to enter and forage, but it is not so excessive that you do not have a good line of sight of the game.

In either growing season burns or dormant season burns they both do a good job of removing the understory, but the growing season burns do remove more of the fruit bearing shrubs that most game are looking for.

Happy hunting,

Troll

The SFE Forum Administrator
02-13-2013 08:00 PM
mukhtarsaad Offline
Warning Group Member

what you can do it make parts of your land
For Example : you have 500 Square meter of land
make 10 parts of it Fire each part separately
two parts on Monday , Two on Thursday and so on

So the wildlife, mainly whitetail deer, black bear, and turkey will come to the place where there is no fire

No doubt you will get better ideas on this forum - i answer what i understand from your queastion
04-27-2013 04:52 AM
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

mukhtarsaad,

Designing a burn in such small areas will incur more damage to the wildlife than burning in one large chunk.. Wildlife is pretty smart when it comes to fire, they leave as fast and soon as possible. There are always going to be the exception that will get caught by the fire, but the overall effects are more positive if the disturbance is done at one time versus multiple hits over several days.

Troll

04-29-2013 04:38 PM
ITRecruiter Offline
Warning Group Member

Please explain why prescribed burns are necessary? In this day and age wildlife seem to have nowhere to go as developments go up everywhere.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013 10:12 PM by Troll.)
05-27-2013 05:44 PM
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

The main reason why prescribed fire is used today is because of the development throughout the forestes today. Fire is a natural part of the forest system and is necessary in many areas to maintain the health of the forest. But with all the development in forested lands and the encroachment of development in forests, it has become necessary to reintroduce fire into the surrounding areas when it can be controlled and will go where you want it to go. In the case of a wildfire the fire may destroy houses and forests alike, while a prescribed fire under the proper conditions will not destroy either. Add to that the benefit of fuel load reduction, when a wildfire does come to this area the lower fuels will slow the fire and possibly help save the developed areas.

Troll

05-27-2013 10:21 PM
ITRecruiter Offline
Warning Group Member

Thanks for your response. I never actually thought of fire being a natural part of the forest system before and find it fascinating the ways that they can start, naturally. I have studied what I can and salute you guys/gals for what you do. Fire can be an unnecessary evil but also used for good causes. This is a great lesson.
06-06-2013 04:49 PM
Troll Offline
Super Moderator

Actually fire is a tool neither evil or unnecessary, the problem is too many people think that all fire is bad and must be stomped out as fast as possible.

Troll
06-06-2013 09:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)