Stuart Oliver Baesel, FAIA (B.Arch. 1950) passed away on April 23, 2009, at his home in La Jolla, California. Stuart attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, served in the Army Air Corps in World War II, and completed his undergraduate degree in architecture and design at the NC State College of Design. He completed his post-graduate work at Cranbrook in Michigan and Fontainebleau, France.
Stuart worked for large architectural firms in Charlotte, New York City, and Columbia, S.C. He was the director of design for J.N. Pease and Associates in Charlotte before discovering and moving to La Jolla and eventually establishing his own practice.
While Stuart designed and participated in large architectural projects in the first 20 years of his career, his move to La Jolla allowed him to focus on another love: the design of houses and buildings reflecting bright sun, cool colors and clean lines.
Lisa Wollman Bolick (MPD 1990), 53, died June 11, 2010, in Emmaus, Pennsylvania.
The daughter of William E. “Bob” Wollman, she was a graduate of Sanderson High School in Raleigh, St. Andrews Presbyterian College, Randolph Community College, and the NC State College of Design.
For 17 years she taught Art and Graphic Design at community colleges and art schools in North Carolina and Pennsylvania. She was an accomplished fine artist and exhibited her work throughout Eastern North Carolina. She was also a passionate advocate for animal welfare and a co-founder of the Duplin County Humane Society.
Marshall Edward Caudle (B.Arch. 1971), 67, passed away Thursday, January 14, 2010, at his residence. Mr. Caudle was born on December 4, 1942, in Mecklenburg County, a son of late Ralph Edward Caudle and Polly Ann Riggins Caudle. He was a graduate of Garinger High School in Charlotte and NC State College of Design. He was architect and owner and founder of Marshall E. Caudle Architect. He was also a member of Monroe Masonic Lodge # 244, as well as a former member of the Monroe Kiwanis Club.
Noel Newton Coltrane Jr., 81, died April 9, 2009. He attended the College of Design and practiced architecture in Greensboro and Elizabeth City, beginning in 1972. He is survived by his wife, Mary Lou Weatherly Coltrane, of Elizabeth City, and a son, Noel Newton Coltrane III, of Greensboro. He was preceded in death by his son, Christopher Sherrill Coltrane (BEDA 1974) in 2008.
Kenneth Raymond Coulter, FASLA (BLAR 1958), 77, passed away December 16, 2009, at Duke University
Hospital. Born in Catawba County on April 18, 1932, he was the son of the late Herbert Guy Coulter and Edith Emily Sublette Coulter. Mr. Coulter studied landscape architecture at NC State University and served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He played a key role in the creation of the original Master Plan for West Point on the Eno Park. He was also instrumental in the preparation and adoption of the New Hope Creek Corridor Plan. Mr. Coulter was on the original board of the Triangle Greenways Council and was elected Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1997.
Matthew Thomas Lada (BEDA 1993/B.Arch. 1994), 38, died at his residence after a lengthy illness. He was a creative artist and architect who loved his family, enjoyed music and reading and cared deeply for animals.
Elizabeth Bobbitt Lee, FAIA (B.Arch. 1952), 81, of Lumberton, passed away Feb. 2, 2010. Lee was the first woman to graduate from the NC State School of Design in 1952. She was the second woman to be licensed by the North Carolina Board of Architecture.
Lee served as president of the NC chapter of the American Institute of Architects and was a fellow in the AIA. She also served on the Board of Trustees of NC State University. Memorials may be made to the NC State Foundation / Elizabeth Lee Scholarship, College of Design External Relations Office, Campus Box 7701, Raleigh, NC 27695.
Herbert P. McKim, FAIA (B.Arch. 1950) passed away on Wednesday, March 3, 2010, with his wife of 59 years, Catherine, at his side. He graduated from Asheboro Senior High School in 1945 and joined the U.S. Marines, serving until the end of World War II. He received a degree in architecture from NC State University in 1950 and moved to Wilmington, NC, to practice architecture at Leslie N. Boney Architects.
In 1955, he and his college classmate, the late Frank Ballard (B.Arch. 1951), formed Ballard & McKim Architects, which in 1959 became Ballard, McKim, & Sawyer Architects when the late Bob Sawyer (B.Arch. 1951) joined the practice. Herb was a principal in the firm for over 45 years designing many residential and institutional buildings throughout North Carolina including major chemistry buildings at NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill; the Cape Fear Community College classroom tower; several buildings at UNC-Wilmington; the Legislative Office Building in Raleigh; and the three North Carolina aquariums.
Herb was active in his profession serving on the NC Board of Registration for Architects for ten years and as the President of NCARB, the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. He was a recipient of the F. Carter Williams Gold Medal, NCAIA’s highest honor recognizing one architect annually for a career of service to the profession.
Herb was very active in his community serving as county and district Democratic Party Chairman, co-chair of the committee for the passage of the bonds for the New Hanover Memorial Hospital in the mid-1960s, member and president of the Wilmington Kiwanis Club, Mayor of Wrightsville Beach, Star News Citizen of the Year, and recognized by Governor Jim Hunt with the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, one of the highest honors the Governor can bestow on a NC citizen. He was a very active member of St. James Episcopal Church. He was very involved in the physical facilities and designed Perry Hall, the new activity center on its campus at 4th and Dock.
The College of Design is particularly grateful for his many hours of volunteer service, most recently serving as co-chair of the college’s campaign steering committee that raised more than $9 million during NC State University’s Achieve! Campaign. In addition, Herb and his wife Catherine established the Catherine S. and Herbert P. McKim Diversity Scholarship Endowment for Architecture to benefit students at the college.
John Richard Reiter (M.Arch. 1979) died Sept. 19, 2009. In 1962, John moved to Savannah, Ga., and worked for the architectural section of the Savannah District Corps of Engineers. He joined the firm of McGinty and Stanley and later became an associate in the design firm of Thomas E. Stanley and Associates.
His professional affiliations included serving as president of the South Georgia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and President of the Georgia AIA. He served on the South Atlantic Regional AIA Council and AIA Historic Resources Committee. During this time he served as State Preservation Coordinator for Georgia and initiated the reformation of the Georgia AIA Historic Resources Committee, serving as its Chairman.
He also served as Chairman of the Savannah Housing and Building Codes Board of Appeals. He was a professional advisor to the Landings Association Architectural Review Committee and Marsh Harbor. Throughout his career, John maintained an interest in advising students and tutored young practitioners for the professional exams. He served three times as a juror for the design portion of the NCARB national architectural exam and frequently was asked to sit on national competition juries.
Keenly interested in historic preservation, he twice served on the Board of Trustees of Historic Savannah Foundation as advisor to the Foundation’s street lighting projects. He also served on the Foundation’s architectural review committee. John built up an individual practice specializing in custom residences and historic preservation. Upon retirement he served on the City of Savannah Park and Tree Commission championing the cause of tree preservation and replanting.
World-renowned Architect Eduardo Catalano passed away in Boston on Jan. 28, 2010, after a brief illness. He was 92.
Catalano was born in Buenos Aires and came to the United States on scholarships to the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard University. Catalano taught at the Architectural Association in London until 1951 before relocating to the Unites States. Dean Emeritus Henry Kamphoefner recruited Catalano as a Professor of Architecture at the then School of Design during the 1950’s.
During his five-year tenure at NC State Catalano designed and constructed his revolutionary house built off Ridge Road on the west side of Raleigh in 1954. Frank Lloyd Wright praised the house and House and Home magazine would later name his home the “House of the Decade.” Life magazine would feature it prominently in a special 1957 issue devoted to the marvels of design and technology that would shape the world of tomorrow.
After leaving Raleigh in 1956, Catalano taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1956 to 1977 and ran a private practice until retiring in 1995. Notable works of Catalano’s architecture in the United States and abroad include the Student Center at MIT, United States embassies in Buenos Aires and Pretoria, South Africa, the Governmental Center in Greensboro, NC, the Juilliard School of Music in New York City, in collaboration with Pietro Belluschi, and forty institutional buildings. Catalano was a corresponding member of the Academy of Science of Buenos Aires and of the National Academy of Fine Arts (Argentina). He is the author of six books on architecture and received four first prizes in national architectural competitions.
In 2002, Catalano came out of retirement to design the Floralis Generica sculpture in Buenos Aires, a gigantic metal flower with six motorized 20-meter-high petals that open and close.
Catalano still has an impact on students studying architecture at the College of Design today. After the untimely death of College of Design Professor Robert Burns, Catalano’s former student and employee, Catalano established The Robert P. Burns Lectures and Seminars on Structural Innovations Endowment, which brings in a visiting expert to lecture and conduct a seminar on structural innovations in architecture. Catalano made a second gift—the largest outright gift at the time it was given in 2007—to establish the Eduardo Catalano Lecture/Seminar on Contemporary Architecture Endowment to provide a special lecture/seminar each year from a visiting professional on contemporary architecture.
Catalano was awarded an honorary doctorate by NC State University in 2007.
Don Alan Masterton, 70, passed away May 26, 2010, in St. Philip, Barbados, West Indies. He was the son of Dr. Edward Lincoln Masterton and Sarah Elizabeth (Glick) Masterton and was born in Chicago where he grew up on the South Side of the city.
Don attended Knox College then proceeded to Southern Illinois University where he graduated in 1952. It was at SIU in Carbondale where he discovered what would become a lifelong love for architecture and design. Upon graduating from IIT in 1954 with his master in design, Don began his teaching career at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He then became an associate professor of art and architecture at the University of Illinois Chicago Campus. In the early sixties, the College of Design recruited him to Raleigh where he moved his family and became Head of the Product Design Department. Don continued with the department until he left in 1973 to pursue other opportunities including working and designing for Hood Yacht Systems in Marble Head, MA.
Don had an unbounded enthusiasm in many other areas as diverse as pottery, jewelry making, Arabian horses and music. He was an accomplished musician having mastered multiple instruments which included flute, upright bass guitar and piano. Loving many genres of music including jazz, Mr. Masterton played with some of the greats including Nat King Cole and Buddy Guy, among others.
In addition, he had lifetime affinity and love for the sea. Don was an avid sailor and enjoyed racing sailboats all over the world. He sailed his wooden ketch Josepha from Marble Head, MA thousands of miles into and around the Caribbean. Respect for nature was always a constant consideration to Don and was reflected in his architecture, specifically in homes. Many of his houses were designed to help integrate the structures into the environment.
Don will always be remembered as an inspirational teacher and mentor, whose passion for design and architecture was reflected in the accomplishments of his many students. Don was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, Mary Jane Masterton, and his brother, Dr. R. Bruce Masterton.
Tadao “Tad” Takano, 83, a visiting graphic design professor at the College from 1974-1975, died May 22, 2010, in Chicago, where he was a longtime professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Takano developed “cyberlithography,” which utilized a computer-controlled machine to expose small portions of photographic paper until patterns emerged.