Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Beginning with the 2015 fall term, all undergraduate students, regardless of when they first enrolled in NC State University, will be subject to the new Satisfactory Academic Progress regulation. The first evaluation of SAP will take place in May 2016.


How does it work?

Progress Toward Degree (PTD)

To make satisfactory PTD, students:

  • must be in a degree granting major before entering their fifth term (fall or spring ).

  • are encouraged to maintain continuous enrollment in a minimum of 15 hours  toward a degree every fall and spring term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) will be evaluated for all students, including part-time students, at the end of each academic year (May). Students admitted mid-year (January) and those who attend only one term for the year will also be evaluated in May each year.

Satisfactory academic progress is measured by meeting the following three standards:

  • Pace of Completion: Students must pass at least 2/3 of all hours attempted each academic year (summer term – spring term). Attempted hours include all hours enrolled for credit as of census date plus hours added after census.  Hours dropped after census, withdrawn or excluded through Grade Exclusion (REG 02.20.16) also count as attempted hours.

  • Maximum Timeframe: Students must graduate before attempting more than 150% of the hours required for their degree program (e.g. 180 hours for a 120 hour degree program).

  • Degree Status: Students must have an academic standing that allows for continued enrollment.

What if I don’t meet the requirements?

Progress Deficiency

  • Students failing to make satisfactory academic progress will have a Progress Deficiency hold placed on their record preventing enrollment and will have future term enrollments (summer, fall or spring) canceled.

  • Students meeting SAP, but not the PTD requirements, may be placed on Progress Deficiency by their College. Colleges may define reasonable progress as: completing courses required for the student’s major in a timely manner, maintaining the expected GPA for the major, or making timely progress toward degree completion.

  • Students placed on Progress Deficiency may submit an appeal to retain their schedule and continue enrollment in the next term. (For information about appeals, see RUL 02.66.01 Readmission of Former and Suspended Students )

Students with successful appeals will be placed on Progress Probation for one term  (summer, fall or spring) and will be required to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards described above.

Who should I meet with to discuss my status?
How do I change my major?
How do I declare a minor?
How do I add a second major?
What if I don't meet the requirements after one semester?


Who should I meet with to discuss my status?

Students on Progress Deficiency should meet with their advisor in order to develop and implement a plan to restore satisfactory progress. A list of the Coordinators of Advising is available.


How do I change my major?

To begin the process of changing to a new major, students should visit the CODA (Change of Degree Application) site to read about requirements and begin the process.

How do I declare a minor?

Once you have decided on a minor, you will want to contact the department to find out more details. You do not have to be accepted by the college with which you declare a minor.


How do I add a second major (plan)?

To add a second major (plan), students should visit the CODA (Change of Degree Application) site to read about requirements and begin the process.


What if I don't meet the requirements after one semester?

Failure to return to satisfactory progress status by the beginning of the next semester (Spring) will result in a change in your enrollment status. This means you will no longer be identified as a degree-seeking student. Please see Section 7 of this policy for more information.



Satisfactory Acadecmi Progress policy
Coordinators of Advising
College Websites
Academic Advising Services
Degree Key Requirements
Plan of Work
GPA Calculator