Breadcrumb Navigation:Home > Research
Research is the foundation of education and engagement activities at NC State University. It inspires students, enhances teaching, spurs innovation, and fuels the economy.
From the world's first synthetic aorta to cloud computing to life-saving gear for first responders, NC State continues to make the world a better place. Our integrated approach to problem-solving transforms lives and provides leadership for social, economic, and technological development across North Carolina and around the world.
Offering Innovative Solutions to Real World Problems
- NC State's work on “smart transformers” was named one of the world's 10 most important emerging technologies by MIT's Technology Review.
- The Forensic Sciences Institute at NC State doesn't just live in the research lab. It provides education, training, and field experience - and even helps law enforcement close cases.
- Centennial Campus is a national model for promoting collaboration among the public and private sectors, government agencies, and scholars - all working together to solve some of our biggest challenges.
Helping to Create Jobs and Drive the Economy
- NC State brings real-world solutions to the marketplace. From industry giants such as Cree to promising new startups such as Galaxy Diagnostics, NC State research discoveries have led to new companies and products.
- New Venture Services provides customized support to promising research projects and startups.
- The Nonwovens Institute is transforming the textiles industry in North Carolina.
Learning More About the World Around Us
- How will climate change impact our world? NC State researchers hope to provide answers at the Southeast Climate Science Center.
- The College of Veterinary Medicine ranks third in the country due in part to its translational research, which helps our animal companions and humans.
- NC State research is changing our understanding of everything around us, from genetics, to language, to history, to energy. And beyond.