Note: Students should have completed Lesson 1 before beginning
Lesson 3. This will familiarize them with the dissolved oxygen test
kits and also give them a basic understanding of how dissolved
oxygen effects aquatic organisms.
1. The materials listed are the basics needed to begin the lesson. Students will
provide a detailed list of materials as they design their experiments.
2. Based on the example questions, students should develop their own question to
3. Students will develop a step by step plan on how the experiment will be carried
out. This should take the form of a procedure. Have the students look at a previous
laboratory procedure as a model for writing the procedure for this lesson.
4. A trial run should be performed before a data collection is attempted. This gives
the students an opportunity to correct any problems before they begin the actual
5. The data collected should be presented in table form. Have the students look at a
previous lab's data table as a model for developing the data table for this lesson.
6. The laboratory report should be in the standard format and should include the
question which was investigated and the hypothesis.
7. The oral presentation should be a brief presentation of the written report.