L. Grable & B. Snoke
Download a file from the Web
1. There are two methods for downloading files from the Internet to your computer:
- hold the mouse button down (for PC, use the right button) on the desired link
- choose Save this Link As.. from the pop up menu
- click on Desktop or select the folder or directory you wish to save in,
- change Format to Source
- click on Save
- click on the desired link and let the program unpack itself on your computer
- Mac files will generally be packed as .hqx and Windows files may be packed as .zip
- You will need Stuffit Expander (Mac) or WinZip to work with packed files.
These methods can be used for obtaining graphic images, video clips, and audio files.
To look for programs to add to the function of your browser, go the the page Common Internet File Formats, http://www.matisse.net/files/formats.html
- place the cursor over the image
- hold the mouse button down (for PC, use the right button)
- proceed as in method A above
- files will generally be labeled as .gif or .jpg
- files can be viewed with JPEG Viewer or LView Pro
- follow method A or B above
- files will generally be labeled as .qt, .mov, or .mpg
- files can be viewed with Sparkle or QuickTime for Windows
- follow method A or B above
- files will generally be labeled as .wav, .au, or .mpg
- many video players will also handle audio
2. For practice, start on the page of Texas Instruments Calculator Program Archive, http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/arch.htm |
- Use the mouse to scroll down until you see the heading Calculator Program Utilities and TI Graph-Link below it.
- Click once on TI Graph-Link. A new page should appear.
3. Look for the area on the left which reads Download Graph Link For:
TI-82 TI-83 TI-85 TI-86 TI-92.
- Click on TI-83. A new page should appear.
- Hold the mouse button down on Macintosh TI-Graph Link for the TI-83 v1.0.3. Release on Save this Link as...
- Click on Desktop. Change the Format to Source, and notice the file name, link83.hqx. Click on Save.
- After a Saving message, link83.hqx should appear on your desktop (you may have to move your browser window to see it).
- Double click on the link83.hqx icon. Decoding and Extracting should follow. A folder called TI-Graph Link should be on your desktop with the programs in it.
- You can put link83.hqx and the icon with blue arrows on it in the the Trash.
- If these events do not happen as described, you probably do not have Stuffit Expander installed on your computer.
- Use the right mouse button to click on Windows TI-Graph Link for the TI-83 v1.4 and choose Save this link as.
- Choose the your desired drive and directory to save it and change Format to Source. Press Enter.
- Double-clicking on setup83.exe will begin an installation program (you may have to look for it in the File Manager or My Computer).
- Follow the directions in the installation program. If you choose all the defaults, you should end up with a group for TI-Graph Link which contains the program.
Download pdf version of this worksheet for printing
Download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to use with .pdf files
Workshop homepage available at http://www.ncsu.edu/sciencejunction/terminal/imse/lowres/2/imseteach.htm
e-mail the author
©1999 Lisa Leonor Grable for Science Junction. All rights reserved.
Last Modified: 3/1/99
Science House Web Workshops | Science House | Science Junction | NC State