- Student Opportunities
- Research links
- NC State Summer Research
- Biology, Ethology, Ecology, Evolutionary, Zoology
- Molecular. Biochemistry, Biomedical
- Ecology, Conservation, Environmental, Oceanic
- Allied Health (Physical therapy, Pharmacy, Nursing)
- Math, Physical Sciences, Engineering
- Science Teacher Preparation, Education
- For Underrepresented Students
- Arts, Humanties, Psychology
- Cooperative Education
- Service Learning
- In Research Triangle Vicinity
- Other Large Excellent Funding Links
- Helpful courses and workshops
- National fellowship advising
- National competitions and organizations
- NC State Summer Research Programs
- Research scholarships (Awards)
- Undergraduate Research Journal NCSU
- Graduate Careers
Participating in the NC State Undergraduate Summer Research Program
- 2005 Summer Undergraduate Research Program Schedule
- Private Tour of the NC Museum of Natural Sciences
- Summer Research Program Party Map
- NC State Undergraduate Research Awards (Grants)
- Sample Research Project Proposal
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Information Site
- NCSU Summer Research Experiences (SRE): If you are interested to joining the existing SREs on campus as a faculty mentor/participant, review their links below:
NC State University provides diverse SRE opportunities for national and international undergraduate students, including those from predominately Black and Native American universities, to participate in faculty mentored summer undergraduate research. As a large land grant university, one of our missions is to produce the next generation of knowledge builders. We believe that begins in K-12 and continues in our undergraduate offerings. Any NC State student with a satisfactory total GPA may conduct mentored research on or off campus. Honors students are required to conduct six hours of research/creative project and to present their work at an outlet appropriate to the discipline. SREs are listed below, as are programs to stimulate interest in science for K-12 students and to prepare middle and high school science teachers for modern approaches in science education. These latter K-12 programs are detailed in the NC State Science House website. NC State is a member of the University of North Carolina Undergraduate Research Consortium, a system-wide network of 16 universities with a common goal of promoting undergraduate research experiences across these and other universities. It forms an ideal, well-organized model for developing a NSF Undergraduate Research Center.
Summer Research Experience Programs
- Mathematics REU: A ten week program sponsored by the National
Security Agency and the Department of Mathematics providing faculty
research in biomathematics and financial mathematics. Questions, please contact Molly Fenn (firstname.lastname@example.org), Loek Helminck
(email@example.com) or Hien Tran (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NSF Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) Summer Research Experience: Mathematics REU: The web page
A faculty mentored research experience with workshops, seminars and presentation of research; for outstanding undergraduates who are considering a Ph.D.
- Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics: Sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, this six-week program gives undergraduates in the quantitative sciences an opportunity to learn the principles of biostatistics and gain hands-on experience working with actual data collected in internationally recognized studies.
- REU in Fungal Genomics: In 2002, nine faculty collaborators at six institutions mentored outstanding students in state-of-the-art facilities using cutting edge techniques with the mission to discover and analyze the function of genes from economically important fungi.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Interns: This is a 10-week summer program open to rising college sophomores through seniors who are majoring in science, math, and science education. Students have an opportunity to work in a laboratory in areas of their interests, attend a weekly lecture series given by local research scientists, and will complete a scientific paper to present at the NC State Summer Research Symposium.
- International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE-United States): This study abroad program offers internships to currently enrolled students who have completed two years of college in a technical field (i.e. engineering, textiles, agriculture, etc.)
- Nuclear Engineering Undergraduate Research Program: A combination of group projects, labs, lectures, guest speakers, and field trips will assist undergraduate participants to gain insight into nuclear science fundamentals.
- REU Physics Program: Faculty mentored research in condensed matter and materials physics, nanoscience and technology, atomic and nuclear physics, optics, astrophysics, and physics education.
- NSF Science & Technology Center for Environmentally Responsible Solvents & Processes (CERSP): Involves five participating institutions with the mission to support multi-disciplinary, fundamental research to identify and enable sustainable processes and products using CO2 related technology. Programs are weighted strongly towards historically underrepresented segments of society.
- NSF Vertical Integration of Research and Education (VIGRE)Traineeship Program: A program in the Department of Statistics for training statisticians who make interdisciplinary applied research and problem-solving activities central to the learning process.
- Sustainable Agriculture at the Center for Environmental Farming Systems: Hands-on research in modern farming practices that promote agricultural sustainability and resource management.
- NSF Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory REU: Faculty from NC State University, Duke University, and the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill enable students to become directly involved in low-energy nuclear physics research.
Other Available Internships
Summer Research Interns: For 9 rising college sophomores through seniors majoring in science, math, science education, and technology. Must attend one of nine colleges/universities in North Carolina. Students placed in NC State campus laboratories or in government or corporate laboratories of the Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Learning Through Research Seminars: Provides a series of Learning Through Research Seminars by leading scientists for undergraduate students on the NCSU campus and each of the other institutions in the consortium to stimulate student interest in research and to aid in recruiting student interns.
- Bennett’s Millpond Project: Provides support for a year round, faculty mentored research program for teams of high school teachers and students in investigating the environment of the old millpond in northeastern North Carolina.
- Phi Kappa Phi Internship Grant
- American Society of Pharmacognosy
- Reaching Incoming Student Enrichment (RISE) Program: Provides summer research experience for 32 incoming NCSU freshmen in the department of their declared major.
- Science of Sports: Research experience for high school juniors/seniors; involves physiology and physics of sports.
- Environtech: Two-week guided research experience for high school sophomores/juniors in environmental technology.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Summer of Discovery Program
- K-12 National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Summer of Discovery Program