NC State Framework Documentation
The purpose of the template is to offer a solid foundation for custom on-brand, accessible website design. The code base should give developers a good starting point for most projects, offering an alternative to the NC State template.
This template system includes three possible configurations: three-column, two-column and two-column-with-horizontal-navigation (with an optional superfish jQuery plugin). Developers can bypass template styles by using the local stylesheet in the css folder.
- PHP 4+
- Dreamweaver CS3 or higher (we haven't tested this on versions lower than CS3.)
- Inside the "core" folder, rename "config-sample.php" to "config.php".
- Open config.php. Define your site URL.
Include "http://". Our code uses 'ROOT_URL' to generate some links to your home page as well as some other server magic.
Modify the site configuration array.
$config = array(
'siteName' => 'Department of Environmental & Molecular Toxicology',
'brand_strip_colors' => 'black',// options: black, red, red_on_white, black_on_white
'headerBg' => 'black', // Header and Footer Background => options: black, red, white
'headerColor' => 'white' // options: black, red, white
This array allows you to plug in your site name, which will automatically render in the header area and <title> of your documents. The other options allow you to specify styling for the branding bar and header area.
Setup a "Site" in Dreamweaver which points to the root folder. Create a new page from one of the included templates or use one of the existing example pages located in the root directory.
- root folder
- core - contains core configuration files and assets. *Outside of config-sample.php, core files should only be edited by developers
- assets - contains misc. images used in the framework.
- classes - placeholder for user-created php classes
- css - includes global, navigation and reset stylesheets.
- config-sample.php - rename to config.php and fill in with your site info
- functions.php - helper functions.
- styles.css - All user styles should go her
- images - user photos, images and graphics
- includes - contains snippets that are included by PHP
- brand_bar.php - NCSU Branding Strip
- footer.php - Footer information
- header.php - includes the page header
- nav-horiz.php - used for the horizontal navigation on the horizontal template
- nav.php - used for the vertical navigation on the the two and three column layouts
- search.php - the search bar
- sidebar.php - right sidebar used in the three column layout + two column horizontal layout
- Templates - Dreamweaver templates
- three_col_vert.dwt.php - three column, vertical navigation template
- two_col_vert.dwt.php - two column, vertical navigation template
- two_col_horiz.dwt.php - two column, horizontal navigation template
- three_col_vert-example.php - Sample page created from template (breadcrumbs + page_title on)
- two_col_horiz-example.php - Sample page created from template (breadcrumbs + page_title on)
- two_col_vert-example.php - Sample page created from template (breadcrumbs + page_title on)
- two_col_horiz-example-player.php - Sample page created from template (feature_player + page_title on)
- two_col_vert-example-player.php - Sample page created from template (feature_player + page_title on)
Each template contains optional regions that can be turned on or off on an individual page basis. Optional template regions can be controlled in Dreamweaver by selecting Modify > Template Properties. By default two optional regions are turned on (page_title and breadcrumbs). A third optional region feature_player is available for the two column templates but turned off by default. The feature_player optional region contains a jQuery powered featured content player.