Breadcrumb Navigation:

NC State Veterans' Education Office > Step by Step Instrudctions > Chapter 33 - Veteran

Chapter 1606/1607

Step 1. Apply for your benefits on the GI Bill website by completing a 22-1990 form

  • Go to
  • Click on "Apply for Benefits"
  • Click on Launch VONAPP (the Veterans Online Application System)
  • Follow Instructions for creating a login and password
  • Select the 22-1990 from the dropdown menu
  • Complete the form and then submit electronically to VA
  • Save a copy as a .pdf to send to the Certifying Official at NC State- it will take the VA about 3 months to approve your application and to send you a Certificate of Eligiblity. A copy of your completed 22-1990 can help us get started

Step 2. Submit your NOBE, Certificate of Eligibility (if you have it) or 22-1990 to the Certifying Official. You can fax to 919-515-2376, email to or bring to 1000 Harris Hall on campus.

Step 3. Register for classes at NC State as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. To see when your enrollment appointment opens, log into the portal

Step 4. Complete the Certification Request on after you have finished enrolling in classes and are done making schedule changes. Any schedule change that you make after you have turned in your worksheet (and we have reported your courses to VA) can result in your owing money to VA.

We will notify the cashiers office that you are a Chapter 1606/1607 student. You will need to set up a payment plan for your charges in order to avoid the need to pay everything up front by the deadline. Please see "Payment Deferment-Step by Step" for more information about how payments work at NC State.

Important Notes for Chapter 1606/1607 Students

You must log into WAVE on on the 1st of each month to verify enrollment in order to be paid. You can also choose to call VA at 1-888-442-4551 instead of using the website.

Your monthly desposits will come on the 1st of the month for the previous month and are only paid for days you are enrolled in class. So, for example, for the Fall semester if classes start on 17 August, you would be paid on 1 Sep for 17-31 August. This would not be a full months payment. The first full payment will come in 1 October for the month of September.

VA pays for the classes that you enroll in and so anytime you change your schedule, you may be required to pay money back to VA. If you fail a class, you may also owe money to VA. If you use the grade exclusion policy at NC State, you may also owe money to VA. Please check with the NC State Veterans' Education Office before making any changes.