Breadcrumb Navigation:Veterans' Affairs > GI Bill Checklist
NC State New Student Veteran Checklist
Thinking about coming to NC State? Want to use your GI Bill to help pay for school? Not sure where to begin? Take a look at this prospective student checklist for the steps necessary to enroll and use GI Bill at NC State University
- Only students enrolled in degree seeking programs can use GI Bill at NC State. Your first step is to apply and get accepted into a degree program. The application can be found on the Undergraduate Admissions website. If you are accepted into the Non Degree Studies program (NDS or PBS) you cannot use GI Bill in this status.
- Once you have received your acceptance letter you can apply to the VA for your GI Bill benefits. The application to VA should be completed online at the GI Bill website. The form that you complete will depend on your status on the benefit that you wish to receive. See list below for your required form:
- Veteran using benefits for the first time (any chapter)- Form 22-1990
- Dependent using sponsors transferred Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) GI Bill benefit- first time- 22-1990E
- Dependent of disabled veteran using benefits the first time- 22-5490
- Veteran transferring benefits from previous school to NC State (any chapter)- 22-1995
- Dependent transferring Post 9/11 benefits from previous school to NC State- 22-1995
- Dependent of disabled veteran transferring benefits from previous school- 22-5495
- Once you have applied to VA using the correct form listed above and submitted the form electronically to the VA, print a paper copy of the form for the VA Office at NC State. The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility after they process your form, but this can take a couple months to receive and a copy of the application can get us started.
- Now that you have applied and been accepted into NC State and applied to VA for GI Bill, you are ready to visit the NC State Veterans Affairs Office! Please call 919-515-3048 to set up an appointment. Bring the following necessary documents required to set up your VA file
- Copy of the application you submitted to VA
- Copy of Certificate of Eligibility from VA (if you have received this)
- DD 214 for veterans who were active duty
- NOBE for Guard and Reserve members
- Enrollment worksheet (submitted electronically on www.ncsu.edu/veterans)
- Payment Deferment Process
*Payment deferral process is set up with Tuition Management Systems. You will be able to make 4 monthly payments for your charges and they will not be due until after the semester starts so that you will have time to begin receiving GI Bill benefits. See link on webpage entitled “Payment Deferment” for details
VA Policies and Procedures- How Using GI Bill at NC State Works
For Chapter 33 Students: VA will pay your book money at a rate of $41.67/credit hour (up to $1000 a year) as a direct deposit into your bank account after the VA Office at NC State has certified your enrollment to VA. You will use this money to buy books at the campus book store. You will also receive a monthly BAH stipend, paid at the rate of $1011 for each full month of enrollment – if you are approved at less than 100%, your eligible percentage will apply. For months of school that are not full months, you will receive prorated amounts. VA pays on the 1st of each month for the previous month, so your payment for August 17-31 would be released on 1 Sep. Tuition and fees are paid to the school on your behalf. Only the in state rates are paid, and again, your eligible percentage applies. For example, if you are out of state for residency, only the in state rate equivalents will be paid and you will have some out of pocket cost. The Yellow Ribbon program exists for out of state students to help cover some of the costs not paid under Chapter 33. Please contact our office to see if any spots are available.Payment for tuition and fees typically arrives about a month or so into the semester, so please make sure you have set up the payment process with Tuition Management Systems to defer your charges. – See Information Above.
For Chapter 35 students: You will receive a monthly check from the VA that is paid according to your training status. For example, to be paid the full amount, you must be enrolled full time- 12 hours. For current rates of payment, please visit the GI Bill website's listing of rates.
For Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607: You will receive a monthly stipend that is paid according to your training status. For example, to be paid the full amount, you must be enrolled full time- 12 hours. For current rates of payment please visit the GI Bill website's listing of rates.
Do NOT forget that every month on the 1st of the month, you must either call VA at 1-888-442-4551 or log into WAVE on the GI Bill website to verify enrollment in order for payment to be released. This only applies for Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607.