How to Apply to be a WISE Mentor
WISE Mentor, Karoline Johnson, with her mentees during BRIDGE 2011 activities
Thank you for your interest in the WISE Resident Mentor position! Click on the links below:
Forms: Applications are now available, due on Tuesday, January 20th at 12 noon - email to Dr. Ashton
- Application - submit via email
- Mentor Recommendation Form - print and give to your Mentor
- Resume - submit via email
- Recomendation Letter
- should be from a professor, TA, RD, high school counselor, teacher, employer, etc
- please no letters from family or friends
- Recommendation letters should be emailed directly to Dr. Ashton
WISE Resident Mentor Qualifications
Minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.7 at time of application
- Maintain a GPA of 2.7 at end of spring semester
- Major in engineering or science field (includes Colleges of Engineering, Agriculture & Life Sciences, College of Sciences, Natural Resources, and Textiles)
- Will have completed a minimum of 29 credits by Fall 2014
- Complete all WISE requirements in the Fall and Spring semesters!
- Experience living in a residence hall setting
- Willing to live in Lee Hall on the 7th, 8th, or 9th floors
- Good judicial standing
- Capable of working independently and in groups
- Organizational, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Awareness of campus resources and services
- Interest in helping others!
- Serve as a role model
- Help students become familiar with university resources, advise and refer residents to appropriate university resources as the need arises
- Help organize and facilitate study groups in the core math and science courses
- Help coordinate the WISE Speakers Series and other events as needed
- Assist with the WISE Summer Bridge Program
- Available for formal and informal interaction with students in the program
- Work with RAs and other staff to build community in the WISE Village
- Commit to working a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Attend periodic meetings with the WISE staff and Residence Life staff
- Yearly compensation package totaling $1200-1500 (Mentors will be responsible for all room charges)
- BoardBucks/All Campus Money totaling $150 per semester
- Guaranteed room assignment in Lee Hall (choose your own roommate)
- Enhanced academic focus
- Learn valuable leadership, time management, communication and teamwork skills
- Experience the satisfaction of helping others
- Final application due Tuesday, January 20th at 12 noon
- Invitation for Interviews will go out late January
- Interviews will begin late January
- Offer letters will go out mid-February
In addition to submitting your on-line application, please also send one letter of recommendation to the WISE Assistant Director, Dr. Ashton, by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Your recommendation should be from a professor, advisor, employer or resident advisor who can comment on your leadership potential, your ability to serve as a positive role model (academically and socially) for other students, and your desire to help other students succeed.
- Also you are required to get a reference form filled out by your current mentor. Mentors will make sure they turn in all forms prior to the deadline.
For more information, please contact the WISE Assistant Director.