Essential Facts and Figures
- 35,479 students, 2,201 faculty and 6,547 staff
- Student-faculty ratio 14:1
- 10 colleges representing all major academic fields
- 700+ student organizations
- Educating more North Carolinians than any other university
- $1.657 billion budget for fiscal year 2018
- $334 million in sponsored research awards for fiscal year 2018
- $1.3 billion endowment
- NC State Extension provides services to citizens in all 100 counties and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
#1 Public University in North Carolina
Ranked Among the Best
- #1 best public university in North Carolina (Money)
- #4 veterinary medicine program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #6 best value among public universities nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #6 nationally in online graduate computer and IT programs (U.S. News & World Report)
- #7 best value for out-of-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- #8 in MBA programs with the best return on investment (Poets & Quants)
- #8 online graduate engineering program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #9 best value for in-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- #9 online MBA nationally (Princeton Review)
- #11 in undergraduate entrepreneurship nationally (Princeton Review and Entrepreneur)
- #12 graduate engineering program among public universities (U.S. News & World Report)
- #16 graduate statistics program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- Top 1% of universities worldwide (Center for World University Rankings)
#4 College of Veterinary Medicine in the nation
U.S. News & World ReportExplore our world-class vet med programs.
Academic Excellence: Brightest Students, Best Faculty
- Recent freshman classes boast the highest ACT and SAT scores in university history.
- More than 100 of our students were national scholars and fellows over the past five years.
- NC State students won four Goldwater Scholarships and 14 National Science Foundation graduate research fellowships in the 2018-2019 academic year.
- The Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program groups world-leading educators and researchers into 20 interdisciplinary clusters, including bioinformatics, precision medicine and public science.
- NC State ranks #3 among national research universities in producing Fulbright Scholars.
- Twenty-three of our faculty are members of the National Academies.
#8 MBA Programin return on investment
Poets & QuantsLearn how NC State is shaping the future of education.
Driving Economic Prosperity
- 135+ startups and spinoffs based on NC State research, attracting a total of $1.7 billion in venture capital
- #6 nationwide in commercialization agreements based on university research; #2 among universities without a medical school
- 1,500+ patents issued, yielding 600+ consumer products
- NC State’s Industry Expansion Solutions helps the state’s small manufacturers boost efficiencies, creating an average economic benefit of $149 million per year since 2005
- NC State and its students, alumni and associated startups generate $6.5 billion of North Carolina income annually
125+ Startups and Spinoffsbased on NC State research
Office of Research, Innovation and Economic DevelopmentSee how our research changes the world.
A National Leader in Attracting Sponsored Research
- One of only two universities in the nation leading two National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centers:
- NC State leads three federally funded collaborative institutes tackling some of our world’s biggest challenges:
- $140 million PowerAmerica initiative, developing an advanced power electronics manufacturing sector for the Department of Energy
- $60 million Laboratory for Analytic Sciences, studying data analytics for the National Security Agency
- $25 million Consortium for Nonproliferation Enabling Capabilities, combating the spread of nuclear weapons for the National Nuclear Security Administration
- Manufacturing USA, a federal initiative to revitalize the U.S. manufacturing industry, has selected NC State to be a partner in seven of its 14 public-private institutes — the most of any university in the country.
$334M in New Sponsored Researchin FY 2018
Office of Research and InnovationLearn how we're attracting record-high levels of external funding.
Interdisciplinary Partnerships That Make a Difference
- NC State is ranked No. 4 in the nation for the share of our research that’s sponsored by private industry, according to the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.
- Eastman Chemical, LexisNexis and ABB are among our on-campus partners benefiting from next-door proximity to NC State faculty, staff and students.
- NC State Entrepreneurship, our Supply Chain Resource Cooperative and our Nonwovens Institute combine academic scholarship with real-world experience to create knowledge, teach students and benefit partners.
- NC State’s expertise in clean energy, biomanufacturing and nonwoven textiles stimulates formation of industry clusters, drawing companies and jobs to North Carolina.
#2 in Commercialization of Researchamong universities without a medical school
Association of University Technology ManagersLearn more about NC State research.
NC State's Centennial Campus
- A public-private research campus where 70+ corporate, government and nonprofit partners work alongside 70+ NC State research and academic units
- Home to the College of Engineering, the Wilson College of Textiles, the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Institute for Emerging Issues, a think tank focused on tackling big issues that affect North Carolina’s prosperity
- Office of Research Commercialization: Helping faculty and entrepreneurs commercialize discoveries made at NC State
- James B. Hunt Jr. Library: Winner of the prestigious Stanford Prize for Innovation in Research Libraries, and one of the most technologically advanced learning and collaboration spaces in the world
#6 Best Valueamong U.S. public universities
U.S. News & World ReportLearn how we prepare our graduates for real-world careers.
Rising Levels of External Support
- Supporters contributed $215.4 million in gifts and new commitments to NC State in FY18 — our second consecutive year to raise more than $200 million.
- NC State garnered $165.1 million in cash gifts in FY18, the highest total we’ve ever received.
- Alumnus Frederick Eugene Wilson Jr. and the Wilson family gave the transformational gift of $28 million to name the Wilson College of Textiles in perpetuity.
- Alumni Edward P. Fitts Jr. and Edgar S. Woolard jointly gave a $25 million gift allowing the university to break ground on Fitts-Woolard Hall, which will house programs and facilities of the College of Engineering.
- A group of generous supporters of NC State athletics made a $5 million pledge to name the James T. Valvano Arena in Reynolds Coliseum.
- The Think and Do the Extraordinary Campaign, the most ambitious fundraising effort in the history of NC State, has raised 96 percent of its $1.6 billion goal.
$215.4M in Private Supportin FY18
Recent Accolades and Achievements
- Rodolphe Barrangou, Todd R. Klaenhammer Distinguished Scholar in Probiotics Research and professor of food, bioprocessing and nutrition sciences, was elected into the National Academy of Engineering.
- The National Science Foundation presented its prestigious Early Career Award to nine NC State researchers in fields spanning biomedical engineering; chemistry; educational psychology; electrical and computer engineering; mathematics; mechanical and aerospace engineering; plant and microbial biology; and sustainability science and engineering.
- The Fulbright Scholar Program honored NC State researchers with eight scholar awards.
- Federico Scurti, a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, won a Lemelson-MIT Student Prize for his inventions of devices that detect and prevent failure of high-temperature superconductors in transportation systems.
- The National Science Foundation awarded its prestigious Graduate Research Fellowship to 14 NC State students this year. The fellowship program recognizes outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees.
- All four of NC State’s nominees for a Goldwater Scholarship — presented to outstanding undergraduates preparing for careers as mathematicians, scientists and engineers — won the prestigious award: materials science and engineering major Neil Baugh, statistics major Rachel Chen, genetics and computer science double major Nikhil Milind and physics and computer science double major Ana Sofia Uzsoy.
- In the 2018-2019 academic year, four Wolfpack varsity teams — wrestling, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, and women’s cross-country — won ACC championships.
- Four NC State coaches won Coach of the Year awards in their respective conferences: Simon Earnshaw, women’s tennis; Laurie Henes, women’s cross-country; Braden Holloway, men’s swimming and diving; and Kim Landrus, women’s gymnastics.
- Three athletics teams — women’s basketball, women’s soccer and women’s tennis — made it to the Sweet 16 in their respective tournaments.
- NC State’s student-athletes excelled in the classroom as well, posting the athletics department’s highest-ever numbers of Academic All-Conference and Academic All-American student-athletes, as well as a record-high graduation success rate.
Updated July 17, 2019.