Essential Facts and Figures
- 33,755 students, 2,336 faculty and 6,733 staff
- Student-faculty ratio 13:1
- 12 colleges representing all major academic fields
- 700+ student organizations
- Educating more North Carolinians than any other university
- $1.495 billion budget for fiscal year 2017
- $349 million in sponsored research awards for fiscal year 2016
- $998.6 million endowment
- Cooperative Extension Service provides services to citizens in all 100 counties and among the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
#1 Best Value Among North Carolina Public Universities
Ranked Among the Best
- #1 best value among North Carolina public universities (SmartAsset.com)
- #3 veterinary medicine program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #6 nationally in online graduate computer and IT programs (U.S. News & World Report)
- #8 best value among public universities nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #8 return on investment nationally for degrees in science technologies (U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard)
- #9 nationally in online engineering programs (U.S. News & World Report)
- #9 online MBA nationally (Princeton Review) and #18 online MBA in the world (Financial Times)
- #9 best value for out-of-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- #15 statistics program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- #18 best value for in-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- #20 nationally among colleges specializing in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Forbes)
- 11 graduate programs among the top 30 in their field nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
#3 College of Veterinary Medicine in the Nation
U.S. News & World ReportExplore our world-class vet med programs.
Academic Excellence: Brightest Students, Best Faculty
- 2016 freshman class boasts the highest ACT and SAT scores in university history
- 100+ students were national scholars and fellows over the past five years
- NC State students won two Goldwater scholarships, five Fulbright scholarships, one Churchill scholarship and a record-breaking 32 National Science Foundation graduate research fellowships in the 2015-2016 academic year
- The Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program has hired 58 world-leading educators and researchers in 20 interdisciplinary clusters, including bioinformatics, personalized medicine and public science
- 25 faculty are members of the National Academies
- NC State ranks in the top 20 nationwide for producing Fulbright Scholars
#9 Online MBA in the Nation
Princeton ReviewLearn how NC State is shaping the future of education.
Driving Economic Prosperity
- 100+ startups and spinoffs based on NC State research, attracting a total of $1.6 billion in venture capital
- No. 6 nationwide in commercialization agreements based on university research; No. 2 among universities without a medical school
- 900+ U.S. patents and 2,000+ worldwide, yielding 550+ consumer products
- NC State’s Industry Expansion Solutions has created $3.4 billion in economic benefit for the state’s manufacturers since 2000
- NC State and its students, alumni and associated startups generate $6.5 billion of North Carolina income annually
100+ Startups and Spinoffs Based on NC State Research
Office of Research, Innovation and Economic DevelopmentSee how our research changes the world.
A National Leader in Attracting Sponsored Research
- One of only two universities in the nation leading two National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centers:
- NC State leads three federally funded collaborative institutes tackling some of our world’s biggest challenges:
- $140 million PowerAmerica initiative, developing an advanced power electronics manufacturing sector for the Department of Energy
- $60 million Laboratory for Analytic Sciences, studying data analytics for the National Security Agency
- $25 million Consortium for Nonproliferation Enabling Capabilities, combating the spread of nuclear weapons for the National Nuclear Security Administration
$349 Million in New Sponsored Research Awards
Office of Research, Innovation and Economic DevelopmentLearn how we're attracting record-high levels of external funding.
Interdisciplinary Partnerships That Make a Difference
- Eastman Chemical, LexisNexis and ABB are among our on-campus partners benefiting from next-door proximity to NC State faculty, staff and students.
- NC State’s Supply Chain Resource Cooperative, Entrepreneurship Initiative and Nonwovens Institute combine academic scholarship with real-world experience to create knowledge, teach students and benefit partners.
- NC State’s expertise in clean energy, biomanufacturing and nonwoven textiles stimulates formation of industry clusters, drawing companies and jobs to North Carolina.
#2 in Commercialization of ResearchAmong Universities Without a Medical School
Association of University Technology ManagersLearn more about NC State research.
NC State's Centennial Campus
- A public-private research campus where 70+ corporate, government and nonprofit partners work alongside 70+ NC State research and academic units
- Home to the College of Engineering, the College of Textiles, the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Institute for Emerging Issues, a think tank focused on tackling big issues that affect North Carolina’s prosperity
- Office of Technology Commercialization and New Ventures: Helping faculty and entrepreneurs commercialize discoveries made at NC State
- Technology Incubator: Supporting high-tech startups by facilitating unparalleled access to world-leading researchers
- James B. Hunt Jr. Library: Winner of the prestigious Stanford Prize for Innovation in Research Libraries, and one of the most technologically advanced learning and collaboration spaces in the world
#8 Best Value Among U.S. Public Universities
U.S. News & World ReportLearn how we prepare our graduates for real-world careers.
Rising Levels of External Support
- $162.6 million in gifts and new commitments for FY16; 82 percent growth since 2010
- Gift receipts rose nearly 7 percent over the previous year to $129 million, topping $100 million for the fifth year in a row
- Two $5 million gifts funded the Michele M. and Ross M. Annable Scholarship Endowment, a need-based scholarship program in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- The Think and Do the Extraordinary campaign, the most ambitious fundraising effort in the history of NC State, is raising $1.6 billion in private support
82% Growth in Gifts and Pledges Since 2010
Recent Accolades and Achievements
- Two faculty members in the College of Engineering — Paul Turinsky, professor of nuclear engineering, and Jay Narayan, the John C.C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering — were elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
- Joseph DeSimone, William R. Kenan Jr. Distinguished Professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at NC State and Chancellor’s Eminent Professor of chemistry at UNC-Chapel Hill, received the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, awarded by the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Patent and Trademark Office to recognize those who have made lasting contributions to America’s competitiveness and quality of life and helped strengthen the nation’s technological workforce.
- Frances Ligler, Lampe Distinguished Professor in NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill’s Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
- Rodolphe Barrangou, associate professor of food science, received the 2017 National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology.
- The National Science Foundation presented its prestigious Early Career Award to 11 NC State researchers in fields spanning chemistry, civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering, mathematics, materials science and engineering, mechanical and aerospace engineering, and statistics.
- Amstat News ranked NC State No. 1 in the nation for producing statistics Ph.D.s.
- The James B. Hunt Jr. Library was named a 2016 Landmark Library by Library Journal.
- Christopher Cooper, a senior majoring in chemical engineering and economics, was one of only 15 students nationwide to win a Churchill Scholarship, which he will use to pursue a one-year master’s degree in chemical engineering and biotechnology at the University of Cambridge beginning in fall 2017.
- Two students — Christopher Cooper and Vishwas Rao — received prestigious Goldwater Scholarships, awarded to outstanding undergraduates preparing for careers as mathematicians, scientists and engineers.
- NC State’s football team scored a decisive 41-17 victory over Vanderbilt in the Independence Bowl.
- NC State sent five athletes to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, setting a new record for Wolfpack athletes competing in the Olympics. Swimmer Ryan Held won a gold medal for the United States in the 4×100 relay.
- The Wolfpack men’s swimming team won its first-ever NCAA relay championship and its second consecutive ACC title.
- At the end of the 2015-2016 academic year, five athletics department programs finished in the top 11 of their respective national polls, and nine teams finished ranked in the top 25.
- NC State’s student-athletes excelled in the classroom as well, posting the athletics department’s highest-ever graduation success rate and academic progress rate.
- NC State’s athletics program ranked 32nd in the national Directors’ Cup competitive standings for 2015-2016, up 35 spots from 2010-2011.
Updated March 10, 2017.