The Department strongly endorses undergraduate research as one of the potentially most rewarding aspects of your undergraduate experience. Research affords an opportunity to make pioneering discoveries at the forefront of science, using instrumentation and techniques far more sophisticated than those usually encountered in standard laboratory courses. Moreover, concepts learned in lecture courses become alive as they are applied to real situations. For students considering graduate studies, it is a chance to work alongside graduate students, postdoctoral associates, and our world-class faculty to experience firsthand some aspects of graduate training. Our undergraduate students often appear as co-authors on peer-reviewed publications, and are afforded numerous opportunities to present their research at conferences at the local, national, and international levels.
Advantages of Undergraduate Research
- Many companies consider undergraduate research "experience"
- Helps you focus on career choices
- Offers you a chance to "do" chemistry
- Provides you with a hands-on experience with instrumentation
- Allows you to earn credit toward graduation
- Allows you to compete for scholarships
- Allows you to get published!!
Listing of Opportunities
- Opportunities for Undergraduate Research
- Chemistry faculty research groups
- Faculty research groups in other departments
- RTP Co-operative
- National Science Foundation sponsored Summer Research Programs
- REU Program at NCSU
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
NC State University Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Held every April in the McKimmon Center
- Go on-line at: www.ncsu.edu/ugrs/
- See advertisement