Dr. Banks' research interests include Inverse Problems and Control for PDE, Modeling in Electromagnetics, Structures, Fluids, and Biology.
Dr. Smith received his Ph.D. in Mathematics from Montana State University in 1990. Dr. Smith's research interests include aspects of mathematical modeling, numerical analysis and control theory. He has written numerous papers and a book on smart material systems, and much of his current research focuses on mathematical issues concerning high performance smart material actuators and sensors in structural, structural acoustic, and aeroacoustic systems.
Lesa R. Denning, Administrative Assistant304 Cox Hall
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jared Catenacci and Dustin Kapraun, IT Program Assistants509 Cox Hall
Contact us directly or through Lesa Denning.
The following is a complete list of CRSC Associated Faculty, Postdocs, and Industrial Scientists along with their respective research interests. If you would like to know more about a particular researcher, please see their individual profile.
- H.T. Banks: Distinguished University Professor and Drexel Professor of Mathematics; Director of the Center for Research in Scientific Computation and Co-Director of the Center for Quantitative Sciences in Biomedicine at North Carolina State University
Inverse Problems and Control for PDE, Modeling in Structures, Fluids and Biology.
- John E. Banks: Director, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Center, California State University, Monterey Bay
Entomology and ecology, modeling in biology.
- Jerzy Bernholc: Professor of Physics
Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science.
- Lorena Bociu: Assistant Professor, Mathematics
Partial differential equations (PDEs) and control theory for PDEs.
- Kathleen J. Brown: Visiting Research Scientist
Method development and experimental design to increase the potential information that can be gained, decreasing bias, accounting for all modeling assumptions, mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and data visualization.
- Stephen L. Campbell: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis, Implicit Differential Equations.
- Alina Chertock: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical methods for time-dependent partial differential equations, scientific computing.
- Moody T. Chu: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis, Parallel Algorithms.
- Doina Cioranescu: Research Professor of Applied Mathematics
Partial Differential Equations, Homogenization Theory for Composites
- Marie Davidian: William Neal Reynolds Professor of Statistics; Adjunct Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Duke Medical School and Director of the Center for Quantitative Sciences in Biomedicine at North Carolina State University
Mixed Effects Models, Longitudinal Data Analysis, Covariate Measurement Error, Missing Data, and Analysis of Assay Data and Calibration.
- Sava Dediu: Scientist, Campbell & Co., Baltimore, MD
Inverse Problems for Partial Differential Equations, Scattering Theory, Numerical Solutions for Partial Differential Equations, Sensitivity Analysis for Dynamical Systems.
- Rebecca Everett: CRSC Research Associate
- Kevin Flores: Assistant Professor, Mathematics
Biological modeling, personalized medicine
- Pierre Gremaud: Professor of Mathematics
Variational Methods in Continuum Mechanics, Numerical Methods for Conservation Laws.
- Nathan Louis Gibson: Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Oregon State University
Computational electromagnetics, finite element and finite difference methods, inverse problems .
- Mansoor Haider: Professor of Mathematics
PDEs, Integral Equations, Biomechanics, Electromagnetic Scattering.
- Aloysius G. Helminck: Mathematics Department Head, Professor of Mathematics
Symmetric Spaces, Invariant Theory, Representation Theory, Symbolic Computation, Flag Varieties and Graph Theory.
- Hoon Hong: Professor of Mathematics
- Shuhua Hu: Senior Research Scientist
Modeling in Biological and Physical Systems, Parameter Estimation, Uncertainty Propagation and Quantification, Optimal Control, Dynamic Game.
- Ilse Ipsen: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Linear Algebra, Parallel Computing.
- Kazufumi Ito: Professor of Mathematics
Control and Inverse Problems for Partial Differential Equations.
- R. Lawrence Ives: Calabazas Creek Research, Inc.
Software development, microwave tube and component design, and uses of microwave power for environmental and heating applications.
- Marc Jacobs: Research Professor of Applied Mathematics
Dynamic Systems, Control Theory
- Mark R. Jolly: Materials Division, Thomas Lord Research Center, The Lord Corporation
Magnetorheological Fluids, Smart Materials.
- Michele Joyner: Associate Professor, East Tennessee State University, CaRDS Institute (Computation and Research in Data Science)
Deterministic and stochastic modeling of biological systems, parameter estimation in stochastic models.
- Erich L. Kaltofen: Professor of Mathematics and Associate Member of Computer Science
Computational Algebra and Number Theory, Design and Analysis of Sequential and Parallel Algorithms, Symbolic Computation Systems and Languages, Internet Mathematics Technology.
- C.T. Kelley: Drexel Professor of Mathematics
Nonlinear Equations and Optimization, Integral Equations.
- Franz Kappel: Visiting Professor, Institut fur Mathematik, Universität Graz
Control Theory, Inverse Problems, Cardiovascular Modeling, and Mathematical Biology.
- Karl Kunisch: Visiting Professor, Institut fur Mathematik, Universität Graz
Control Theory, Partial Differential Equations, and Inverse Problems.
- Amy Langville: Assistant Professor, College of Charleston, SC Department of Mathematics
Reduced order models for advanced materials.
- Zhilin Li: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Analysis and Numerical Methods for Differential Equations.
- Alun Lloyd: Professor of Biomathematics and Mathematics and Director of Biomathematics Graduate Program
Modeling Infectious Diseases, Spatial Models, and Biomathematics.
- Sharon R. Lubkin: Professor of Biomathematics and Mathematics
Biomechanics and Models in Developmental Biology and Medicine.
- Negash G. Medhin: Professor of Mathematics
Control Theory, Stochastics and Dynamical Systems.
- Carl D. Meyer, Jr.: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Linear Algebra, Markov Chains.
- John F. Monahan: Professor of Statistics
Random Number Generation, Statistical Computing.
- William Oates: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Florida State University
Multiscale material modeling, active materials, nonlinear control, fracture mechanics.
- Mette S. Olufsen: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Biofluidynamics, Math Biology.
- Tao Pang: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Stochastic Control and Financial Mathematics.
- Melissa A. Pasquinelli: Assistant Professor in Textiles Engineering, Chemistry, and Science
Computational Chemistry, Multiscale Modeling, Nanomaterials, Toxicology, and Biomedical Engineering.
- Keri Rehm: Research Assistant Professor
- Eric S. Rosenberg: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Clinical Trials, and HIV.
- Paul Schlosser: Staff scientist, EPA.
- Jeffrey S. Scroggs: Professor of Mathematics
Domain Decomposition, Partial Differential Equations.
- James F. Selgrade: Professor of Mathematics
Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations, Biomathematics.
- F.H.H. Semazzi: Professor of Mathematics and Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Climate Modeling, Numerical Simulation.
- Michael Shearer: Professor of Mathematics
PDE's, Hyperbolic Conservation Laws.
- Michael F. Singer: Professor of Mathematics
Computational Algebra and Differential Equations.
- Suzanne S. Sindi: Assistant Professor, Applied Math, School of Natural Sciences, U. California, Merced
Computational molecular biology and Prion aggregate modeling
- Charles E. Smith: Associate Professor of Statistics and Biomathematics
Numerical Solutions of First Passage Time Problems, Biomathematics.
- Ralph C. Smith:Professor of Mathematics
Mathematical Modeling, Numerical Analysis and Control Theory.
- William J. Stewart: Professor of Computer Science
Numerical Solution of Markov Chains, Numerical Linear Algebra.
- Karyn Sutton: Assistant Professor of Mathematics, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Mathematical Modeling, Modeling in Biological Sciences, Inverse problems.
- Hien T. Tran: Professor of Mathematics, Director of EM/Acoustics Lab
Numerical Methods in Control, Spectral Methods.
- Semyon V. Tsynkov: Professor of Mathematics
Numerical Methods for PDE's and Computational Mathematics.
- Paul J. Turinsky: Professor of Nuclear Engineering
Computational Engineering, Parallel Algorithms.
- Robert E. White: Professor of Mathematics
Parallel Algorithms and Partial Differential Equations.
- Lynn Yanyo: Materials Division, Thomas Lord Research Center, The Lord Corporation
Polymer Science, Viscoelastic Materials.
- Kidist Zeleke: CRSC Postdoctoral Assistant
Associated Graduate Students:
- Kaska Adoetye: CRSC Research Assistant
- Robert Baraldi: UBM Research Assistant
- Andrew Bernstein: CRSC Research Assistant
- Elizabeth Brown: CRSC Research Assistant
- Jared Catenacci: GAANN Fellow
- Karissa Cross: UBM Research Assistant
- Phuong Hoang: CRSC Research Assistant
- Nelly Kadagi: CRSC Research Assistant
- Dustin Kapraun: Lord/CRSC Graduate Fellow
- Amanda Laubmeier: RTG Graduate Fellow
- Kathryn Link: RTG Fellow
- Christina McChesney: UBM Research Assistant
- Neha Murad: CRSC Research Assistant
- Nicholas Myers: CRSC Research Assistant
- Marcella Noorman: CRSC Research Assistant
- Terrance Pendleton: CRSC Research Assistant
- Laura Poag: CRSC Research Assistant
- Kristen Rinnovatore: Lord/CRSC Graduate Fellow
- Emma Thorpe: UBM Research Assistant
- Zhaohui Wang: CRSC Research Assistant
See our list of Recent Graduates to see where our former students are now.
Return to top of page
- Applied Math Inc.
Gales Ferry, CT
- Calabazas Creek Research, Inc.
- Lord Corporation
Thomas Lord Research Center, Cary, NC